• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Male or Female German Ram

logi-cat

Hi, can anybody tell me if this is a male or female German Ram? Thanks

73201971.jpg

65149816.jpg

22140004.jpg

83655148.jpg

19277642.jpg

87399857.jpg

i thought it was a female as well but like you said they are still to young to sex. Pictures are all from the same fish, thanks for your replies.

I'd say a male too. By the shape, females are rounder in the belly as well as rosey coloured there when they get older. Buy a definite female and see what happens with the possible bond

i posted this exact post on the planted tank forum and the majority of the people over there thinks it's a female, split decision

Because everyone keep saying male i think i have change my mind. When i go up to the tank and look at it it does look more like a male. I'll prob get a female tomorrow from wildwoods and see what happens. Thank everyone again for replying

At this size it's hard to be totally sure. I'd bet male, but could be wrong. Your best bet to get stable pair is to chat to the guy at the fish store and explain you have one fish already and want a bonded pair and take 5 fish home with you tomorrow. Give them time to pair up naturally and then remove all the spare fish and agree that you'll take them back to the store (larger, better fed and probably in better condition!) in return for store credit against future fish purchases. By letting them pair naturally you will get a much stronger pair and then you will stand a much better chance of them breeding in your tank. You'll also get to see a load of natural behaviour as they fight and spar to select mates.

I've always fancied keeping more than 2 rams. If you go this route, please report and post pics of them all :)

will do, but im just tempted to get a female as i already made up my mind that its a male (fingers cross it is). will let you no how they get on when i get my female GBR.

Hi all,
My vote would be male as well, I know it is a golden morph, but the fishes colour would make suspect that it is hormone treated as well, so whether it is male or female is largely irrelevant (the hormone treatment makes them sterile). The easiest way to sex them is from the dark mark on the flank (not really shown well by your fish) this is "blue spangled" in the females. Have a look here <http://dwarfcichlid.com/Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi.php>. I'd recommend ApistoBob's whole site for Dwarf Cichlid keepers.

cheers Darrel

Back