• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mangrove Beach (A journey into the unknown!)

Chrispowell

Hi all,

So today is the 6th of July 2016, the day in which the first few pieces of the puzzle have started to arrive. This will be my first planted tank and so I am sure its going to be a long and enjoyable jouney into creating a peacful piece of nature in my living room!

As this is my first planted tank I am purchasing 99% of the bits as I go, many of which I am still looking for suggestions/ recommendations for so please feel free to offer your advice..

Currently purchased -
Tank - (Length 110cm, Depth 54cm, Height 42cm) Optiwhite glass, clear Silicone, braceless.
Lights - 2 x ZETLIGHT ZP4000 42w LEDs, wireless recievers and controller
Filtration - 2 JBL e1501
Two sets of glass lily pipes from co2 supermarket
Co2 - Pub cylinder, Dual output needle valves, 2 bubble counters and 2 Original UP inline diffusers

Substrate
ADA amazonia
ADA Mekong sand

Hardscape
Large driftwood piece and approx 40kg of rock

As for plants Im going to decide on a hardscape I like and then decide on planting after this.

Tank arrives next week, looking forward to that! Please let me know any thoughts! :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a great project. For reasonably priced hardscape etc try Destination Aquatics, one of our sponsors.
They're based in Milton Keynes, but I'm sure they will courier items out.
Look for Grey Pillar Rock on their website it's Seiryu by another name, but much cheaper.

Sounds like a great project. For reasonably priced hardscape etc try Destination Aquatics, one of our sponsors.
They're based in Milton Keynes, but I'm sure they will courier items out.
Look for Grey Pillar Rock on their website it's Seiryu by another name, but much cheaper.

thanks, I have a trip planned for DA in the next couple of weeks, I may try and tie aquarium gardens into the same road trip, Looking at their site the rocks didnt look the same even though I heard grey pillar rock is the same thing. Will take a trip and pick some peices out in person I hope!

Cheers Troi, Im off to DA in the morning to pick up some hardscape materials :)

Can anyone recommend a single filter that will give me ample flow and I can fit a lilly pipe to??

The stand is now cleaned up and ready for the tank (which is being delivered this Wednesday! :))

image.jpg

Had a sneaky suspicion I may have gone OTT with the hardscape materials but didnt want to leave myself short.. I now have ample amount of seiryu rock (approx 40KG) and some amazing bits of bog wood! Now to start the many hours of head scratching to try and get something I am happy with!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can never have too many spare pieces... right? ;)

Beautiful start indeed! Where do you plan yo get those acrylic raisers to raise the light??

My first plan was to visit eBay and see who's selling acrylic bits and bobs and send some emails.

I have thought about some other ideas but not decided yet

FINALLY! I have decided on my hardscape! Very happy with it, now I need to work out how I am going to stop the substrates mixing and get all of that in place!

Two JBLs ordered today too! Now looking for clear filter hoses and lily pipes! Exciting times

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Free free to comment and let me know your thoughts

Chris

Got the substrate in today! Used some electrical conduit to act as a substrate divider... Bent to shape and then glued to the tank base, I then banked the sand at the forground higher then the Amazonia at the back of the divider. Fingers crossed it will help.

Here's a quick video of how it's looking now! Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks, Chris

If you have small spare rocks you might put them on top of border between sand and amazonia. That will help to keep them separated.

Back