• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mangrove Forest - 245L Brackish Riparium

'Blisshome' shower caddies are what I use (available from Amazon). They have suckers too but seem able to take a moderate weight, although with heavier plants I did need to give them some support underneath with a bit of rock or wood, otherwise they'd slowly slide down the tank.

I recently picked up one of the duzit sink tidy things and hopeless is the word I would use they are constantly falling down but maybe that's my poor luck

The suction cups supplied with the regular riparium planters hold much better and last a lot longer than those thinner suction cups. The riparium planters are also supplied with the plastic snap fastener for attaching the riparium trellis raft.

I'm attempting to get some specimen shots of the fish in this tank. I netted a couple of individuals and put them into a 5-gallon tank that I had painted white on the bottom and rear panel. I need to experiment some more. Here is a quick knock out of the male Cyprinodon variegatus pupfish.

13-VIII-13-Cyprinodon-variegatus-I-600.jpg

Sometimes this guy colors up with beautiful turquoise blue, but most of the time he is just washed out like this. I need to try harder to get him while he is looking pretty.

Very nice set up. :) I've had a go at planting like this, I have tried the shower caddy things, but like other have said, the suction cups aren't that good, so got thinking, would a floating worm feeder be worth a try? I know they are not quite as big, but they might be ok for smaller plants? Will get some ordered and give it a shot.
Fern

Very nice set up. :) I've had a go at planting like this, I have tried the shower caddy things, but like other have said, the suction cups aren't that good, so got thinking, would a floating worm feeder be worth a try? I know they are not quite as big, but they might be ok for smaller plants? Will get some ordered and give it a shot.
Fern

The regular commercial riparium planters have much better suction cups than the shower caddies do. Mine never fail so long as I keep the suction cups and the glass clean.

Here is a quick specimen shot for the marsh killifish. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the camera flash to work correctly(?????).

22-VIII-13-Fundulus-confluentus-I-m.jpg

This tank is featured in a new article from the latest issue of AMAZONAS Magazine. Please check it out if you can. Can you get AMAZONAS in the UK? I tried to include some good information on growing the mangrove trees in a riparium setup. The pictures turned out pretty good.

17-X-13-Amazonas-I-m.jpg

17-X-13-Amazonas-II-m.jpg

Thanks BigTom!

The leather fern is a real nice riparium plant.

I hope to have another article in there next spring.

Back