• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mantainence free shrimp bottle?

idris

I have a spare demijohn and stumbled across this Instructable. It seems to suggest you could effectively have a viable shrimp nano in a bottle without any filtration. This is counterintuitive, based on everything I've learned about aquariums, but other than Amans in a planted fish tank, I have no experience of shrimp, nor of nano tanks.

Does this seem a little too optimistic, or worh a try?

Possible but can be tricky.Use hardy shrimp like cherries.Would recommend opae ula but these tend to be more expensive.

I've none a filterless (though plsnted) nano with approx 10 litres before now with a water change every other week. If you get some java moss in there and remove their waste regular I imagine it would be just fine

Idris...in my book, there's 'surviving', and 'thriving'.
The first may apply to two or three basic red cherry shrimp in a glass bottle, for a while.........the second is certainly less obvious.
What I would say though , is that keeping Neo shrimp, and watching generations of a colony grow and thrive is a very satisfying hobby and long term project,
For that, you would really benefit from getting the right set up to begin with.
The best thing about nano tanks is that you can fit loads of 'em into your house !!

Also keeping it clean with that narrow opening and neck will undoubtedly prove challenging.

FFDB1SDI3R70L3E.LARGE.jpg

And trimming the plants would be fun too. :)
But you can certainly run a tank successfully with no filter; it used to be quite usual, then went out of fashion, then there was a bit of a fad for it after Diana Walstad published her book, which is worth a read, especially if you can get a used copy cheap. :).

I've not seen Walstead mentioned for a couple of years. I've not read her book(s) specifically, and am unaware of her thoughts on "nano" environments.

The demijohn I have has a wider neck than that shown above, but I was already thinking it was problematic.

Opae ula can survive quite ok as they are pretty small even for shrimp maybe even breed but yr plants prob wont make it.They need brackish water to breed but can do ok in freshwater.Tweezers might help but yea quite a hassle.

Back