• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Manzanita wood - now in the UK

Tony Swinney

So the Manzanita is on its way !

Firstly I'd like to say a huge thanks to Tom for all his time and effort in collecting all the wood, packaging it, and paying for the shipping from the US. Also, big thanks to ukaps for initially reimbursing Tom for the full amount, so that no one member has to cover it.

There is about 25kg of wood coming over with the longest pieces being about 28" / 72cm, and to give you an idea of size, this arrangement of manzanita is made up of 3 branches, is about 60cm x 60cm, and weighs just under 1kg, though it is completely dry.

Manzanita3.jpg

The transatlantic shipping costs are £130 for the 25kg, so there'll be a charge of £5.20 per kilo of wood, plus any shipping costs on to you. We're only paying for transport costs, the wood itself is free ! This can be paid to ukaps via Paypal, using the "Donate" link at the bottom of the forum pages.

Once the boxes arrive here, Dan and I will sort out distribution. Collection would be great, from either my place in Surrey (KT11) or from Dans place in Daventry (NN11) as you would then get to choose the bits you want. Otherwise we will choose as well as possible for you and post it out (cost will be about £10 per box, though a few nano pieces would be cheaper !) Aside from getting everyone together in one place and having a mad scramble for it, theres no easy or "fair" way to do this so please bear with us ! If you arent in a hurry for it, we can bring it along to both the Oli Knott demo at TGM in September, or the Festival of Fishkeeping in October.

Dan has locked the other threads on this, and I've collated the 'wanted' posts from them into this list below - please could you all confirm that these details are still correct, as its been a while since this started.

Cheers

Tony

Updated 18:30, 25/6/09

Thomas McMillan: 2 - 3kg, 10 - 45cm
Tonser: lots of bits up to around 70cm.
SteveUK: tiny to medium 5 - 50cm
SamC: 15-30cm straighter pieces about 8 - 10.
Glenn Eldridge: pieces for 70cm , something like sample above
johnny70:small-medium 10-50cm, branchy and straight bits
Ejack: a few pieces, 3-4 roughly 30-40cm long
SimonD: 2 or 3 lengths 40 - 70cm combination of branched/straight. Whatever I'm sure it'll be good and can make it work!
YzemaN: Enough to fill a 4 footer. I've been quite envious of the 180G "pesky" tank in Tom's living room
Verminator: 5 to 6 pieces between 40-60cm in length for a 3ft setup. Aiming for root like system with Echi's in the near future.
SuperColey1: £25 worth ( <40cm)
StuWorrall: 2 - 3kg, nano & up to 80 cm
Dave Spencer
Garuf: Gnarly weather worn up to 22"
John Starkey: all sizes
Whimdriven
Piemonster
Binsky 1973: centre pieces for a 48"
Linsflier: Pieces for 96"
Fishkeeper: 30 - 70 cm, 2-3kg
xweeqtx: small gnarly branchy bits
LondonDragon: ???
Hunter01: 2 lots like sample above, plus nano bits

Tonser said:
I've collated the 'wanted' posts from them into this list below - please could you all confirm that these details are still correct, as its been a while since this started.

I am no longer after the wood, please can you remove me from the list.

Cheers, Matt

I'd probably be up for around 2-3kg about 10-40/50cm bits. ;)

Can't wait for this sfuff, thanks again to Tom!

Hi

Im still after some aswell. As said, I don't relaly know how many pieces. Just a variety, but maybe about 2-3kgs :D

cheers

yep..i still would like some but maby more than one peice as i would like something like the pic you provided.(sorry for changing my mind,i just seen that the pic was made of 3 peices and im looking for that effect)

so are we paying back ukaps the money that Tom got?

I think this batch will do well for the smaller tanks.

Larger 120 cm tanks will require a different shape box.
also, I can likely wedge more wood into these boxes if I have more stock available.
I just had a pile and tried to get what I had sitting there.

With a larger collection and some breaking of the wood down a bit here and there, I can certainly add more per box.
The longer the box, the more straight the pieces need to be. They get tangled and more like a puzzle to get to fit.

The wood will redden up once you soak and brush it a bit a bit like the pic above.

There are plenty of smaller pieces well suited for a 60cm range and 45 cm range tank.
There's some larger pieces, a lot for nano's as well.

If it's economical, we can do it again.

Tom Barr

Hi Tom,
we really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to for us uk plant lovers and i would like to say a great big thank you from us all,
regards john.

john starkey said:
Hi Tom,
we really appreciate all the trouble you have gone to for us uk plant lovers and i would like to say a great big thank you from us all,
regards john.

I also second that. Thanks for taking you time to go and search for wood to help benefit us all

Im sure i did put my name down in the old thread as well. Looking for the same sort of effect in the first pic but 2 lots (one for each end of the tank) would take a few smaller bits for my betta tank as well

I've added you to the list Hunter :D

The boxes have arrived :D I've had a very quick look inside and there are LOTS of pieces in there, and they look to be fantastic :D

I'm stacked for the next couple of days, so please bear with me whilst I work out the distribution etc with Dan.

It would be good to know who would collect from me (KT11 - Cobham, Surrey), who would collect from Dan (NN11 Daventry) and who would need it posted.

Thanks

Tony

Woo! :D I'm sure there's no rush, take your time mate. ;) I would need it posted.

Back