• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mark Evans-120 x 55 x 55cm.... 'Convalescence' The joy of shrimp

...I think also for the future of my own artistic take on layouts, that may well change, as mentioned before, I have to consider showing certain species at their best. If that means placing a plant in random position just to get a good photo, then so be it. But actually, this forces me to think outside the box a little.

This layout for example...I'd of never chosen these plants to go in an Iwagumi, but with certain criteria that needed to be met, I reconsidered what's actually possible, and hopefully, I've achieved my goal.

By no stretch of the imagination am I saying this is ground breaking, but it is slightly left of middle.

The use of Cladophora as a foreground plant (flattened out), is not new, but its 'forgotten' It's kind of going back to basics, with the aim, to help and educate newcomers and advanced hobbyists alike.

That puts it all in to context...I must admit to being a little confused before your explanation and couldn't quite get my head around what you were trying to achieve. The hardscape is understated yet the creative experience behind it more than apparent, and the plant choice at first appears slightly odd but nonetheless purposeful and well thought out. I really like it, in an odd sort of way, and I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with it, especially within the confines of the above. Anyway, good to see you back doing what you do best.

Great explanation Mark. All endeavours are a balance of the triple threat - scope, cost and time. Glad to hear that you found your balance!

So, after returning from Aqua Telford, I'm feeling week at the knees. LOL standing for 2 days solid, takes it out of you. It was a great show in all, and saw and met some great people. Was good to see Georges tank for real. It is indeed a beauty.

Anyhow, I've come home after being away from the tank for 4 days, and all is well.

With my lighting being 'key' to my aquariums, this gives me 'breathing room' this is how far the light is from the substrate....2 x 54w T5 for 6 hours a day. 82cm to the front of the aquarium, and 74 cm at the back of the aquarium.

Eleocharis sp. new is producing runners, and healthy new growth. Eleocharis parvula is producing runners, crypts have new leaves, The anubias' are showing new leaves, and the Echinodorus is the fastest growing plant, along with the stems.

Cladophora is looking great too.I may add a bit more of this to create some 'random' looking effect, rather than a 'linear' looking effect.

I'm adding my shrimp today., and i'll also get some better photos over the weekend.

I* must leave you now, and do some work!

10204548264_ac5e34ec2a_b.jpg
light-height by saintly's pics, on Flickr

10204810166_0159d25033_b.jpg
low-light by saintly's pics, on Flickr

My Echinodorus is doing great, and is speedy in it's growth. And for once, in such a long time, I have red in an aquarium. oh the joys!

10204552414_4cf4bbb166_b.jpg
colour-2 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

when compared to 7 days ago, growth rates are very good. especially considering i'm not using aquasoil. This is my first 'gravel tank' with Tropica plant growth substrate.

10083578916_d18a565601_b.jpg
day-1-a by saintly's pics, on Flickr

10204664366_5f3e8280e2_b.jpg
1-week by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Thanks guys.

Alastair, it was good to meet you mate @ Telford. I'll come over to your thread shortly, after our discussion about 'wood'

The growth has impressed me also. I wasn't expecting such a quick start to be honest. I've just put about 40 shrimp in.

Hi Mark,
I am very impress how the growth is only after one week. My tank have more than three weeks and I don't have the same growth !!
As usual your picture are fabulous, I wish I could have your talent for picture and the work you are doing on it.

best regards

Thanks. It's a quick start, and hopefully it will remain growing in the same manner.

It's quite amazing to see how much crap the shrimp are eating already. Not visible to the naked eye, they're eating something, as you can see the crap piling up on the cladophora beneath the stones. A fair few ottos have also been added this afternoon. Algae crew ready to go!

that's one of the most incredible 1-week old tank i've ever seen!
£2.00 per Litre seems like a great bargain!

£2.00 it is then. I can start shipping ASAP!

Here's a very short segment....The green on the rock was from a previous set up by the way!

Dont know about magic water but that video didnt even look like there was any in there ha.
Beautiful.

£2.00 per Litre? So you just filled this tank with petrol?

The taxman will want his cut :greedy:

Alastair...:lol:

I could not resist buying some cheap fish. I've had sivertip tetras before, and when they colour up, they look amazing. A fave of mine. I also needed to see something swimming about.

I bought 12. They've settled in straight away. feeding within 5 minutes. puts my mind at ease when fish settle quickly.

This wont be the only fish, and I may swap them out at some point, but as some may know with me, I tend to put all kinds of fish in my tanks. I aint so fussy. Actually, I reckon I could get away with many varieties in this layout.

10228685013_9d8cc1b960_b.jpg
silvertip by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Back