• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mark Evans-120 x 55 x 55cm.... 'Convalescence' The joy of shrimp

Here's a quick update pic @ 3 weeks...The LED's are great! They're that bright, I can shoot @ iso 100 :wacky:

It's very slow growth, but very trouble free.

10477959104_4881378519_b.jpg
LED-@-3-weeks by saintly's pics, on Flickr

Thats stunning mark. It doesnt look like its been slow growth when you compare it to a few weeks ago. And personally I think that E.Red Diamond really contrasts well in this layout.
Do you think slow growth may partly be down to the use of gravel as substrate from nutrient soils that might give some extra juice to the plants???
Awesome photo skills as per. Very jealous.

It might be Alastair, but I think it's light. I really limit my light, and have done for some time. The crypts still need to change form. They're are new leaves coming through, but plenty of the old ones left. Which will be cut off tomorrow. (Don't shout at me Michael :nailbiting:...I know, I know... )

So, in a few months time, I should have 'clumps' of crypts and stems here and there. There's still plants not really showing themselves yet.

I've pulled the tank away from the wall, and looking at the back of the tank, you can see all of the new, white roots from everything planted at the back; so it might just 'jump' in to life soon.

I'm still new to LED, and I reckon I've programed this Arcadia unit just right. No algae on the stones, yet steady growth from plants. That will do for me!

10479338254_8a5d316c47_b.jpg
3-weeks-2 by saintly's pics, on Flickr

I'm getting super envious of the LED light set ups I've been seeing recently, I love the shadow and shimmer like real dappled light. I'm gonna look into making a switch...

Mark,

Would you please tell me about the Tropica substrate material? We don't have many things (if any) like that here in the States to my knowledge.

Roots first, Mark........growth will follow !!
"Growth-curve" - remember??
Exponential !!
Patience !!!
---- and I don't like Flamingo's, to be honest.........;)
Mick.

Thanks for the feedback. Paulo, they are available to buy mate.

For some reason, I think I've embedded the video wrong. I've watched it on my other devices, and 'in forum' in doesn't look sharp at all, yet in you tube, it's sharp as a tack!

Hey mark

Just come back to UKAPS today after a very long break, delighted to find your journal, just read it from start to finish and always stunning photos and inspirational scape. Still need convincing on the Cladaphora....

It 's all looking remarkably good...back to basics with a very sophisticated twist...that orange doood fish is a really aggressive fellow:eek: ...and as always the cinematography is par excellence..

Would you please tell me about the tropica substrate material? We don't have many things (if any) like that here in the States to my knowledge.

I'm using tropica substrate, capped with a large grain size gravel. Where it's steeper at the back, I have 2 layers of tropica substrate. Because it's about 10 inches deep, I've gone...

tropica substrate-1 inch
gravel - 4 inches
tropica substrate - 1 inch
gravel - 4 inches
Using thin strips of plastic to stop the tropica substrate coming forward.

Cheers Andy, and Troi.

Andy- thanks mate. Cladophora wont be for everyone. It's even a new one for me. Still learning how best to use and place it. This is a 'multi task' layout. A layout which looks half decent, yet later down the road, I can obtain images of plants. Hopefully, people can see that you're able to focus on individual plants without them being smothered by something else.

Troi- I think you mean the silvertips tetras?....Yes there lively little things. Too lively for my liking.

I'll be putting some cardinals in soon. Quite a few of them as well...

I went over to see Mark this morning, the pics and vids don't give the sense of scale this tank really is. Those stones are massive! The scape is really healthy, and looks great. This LEDs are immense! They really give great colour rendition. I know what's on my Christmas list...

Just to try and get some sense of scale, here a pic of yours truly stood next to it.

bUbDfpq.jpg

Back