• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Marks 120cm Bay Fronted Jungle "A 5 Year Work In Progress"

Arana

I decided to change the background in my 120cm a few weeks ago and replanted it all with Rotala, what with life getting in the way as usual it's now well past it's first pruning. So i thought i'd post some pre-prune pics and you can follow the progress as i try to turn it into some kind of scape over he next month or so. All comments and suggestions welcome of course :D It's probably going to take a few prunings to take shape so be patient :D

:oops: Please excuse the photography, they are taken on my sons compact camera and i havn't quite got the hang of it yet, especially after a bottle of wine :p

DSCF0601.jpg

DSCI0232.jpg

DSCI0231.jpg

DSCI0239.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture009.jpg
[/img]

Hi Mark,
Pretty nice so far. As you say, a haircut is in order. You could improve things by adding some hardscape across the midground, say, immediately behind or around the low growing bushes. Also, I love red, so I'd find a place for a red plant somewhere in the back or middle to offset the greens in the same way that the Crypt does that so nicely up front. :D

Cheers,

Very green and jungle like, it's pretty good.

The thing I love about stems is their versatility, if you dont prune for a while you have a jungle, although just after pruning you have a neat dutch or nature aquarium scape. For now though, you can enjoy the jungle.

What plants do you have btw?

Here's the list mate, many others have come and gone over time :D
Bacopa caroliniana
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Ludwigia repens
Micranthemum umbrosum
Microsorum pteropus
Riccia fluitans
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. ''green''
Didiplis diandra
Hottonia Paulensis
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Lysimachia nummularia
And about a dozen different mosses

ceg4048 said:
Hi Mark,
Pretty nice so far. As you say, a haircut is in order. You could improve things by adding some hardscape across the midground, say, immediately behind or around the low growing bushes. Also, I love red, so I'd find a place for a red plant somewhere in the back or middle to offset the greens in the same way that the Crypt does that so nicely up front. :D

Cheers,

I agree with every word mate, it's just finding the right bit of wood for the job :(

Thanks Mossman, i keep expecting to hear Tarzan in the background :D

Themuleous said:
Loved it when I saw in last weekend, but a good haircut is overdue ;) I wouldn't leave it to long as you don't want the bottoms of the stems to get to tatty.

Sam

Thanks Sam, i don't want tatty bottoms thats for sure :lol:

OK i finaly got around to giving it the big haircut tonight, i also changed a couple of plants :D The back glass needs a good clean, i'll do that at water change time.

i have ordered a long piece of redmoor, i'll post pics when it comes.

i will post weekly pics and we will see how it grows in :D

Here's the pics...

DSCI0250.jpg

DSCI0251.jpg

DSCI0254.jpg

TURN THAT FLASH OFF!

It looks amazing, a credit to your talents.
I can't wait to see the redmoor go in, it's going to be amazing.

Themuleous said:
Nice Mark, about time!!!

You could probably be more sever with the prune and take another few inches off the top, so that the new growth is just above the plants in front of it.

Just a thought

Sam

you're probably right mate, i plan to hit them again in a couple of weeks once the wood is in and i'm sure of the final layout, just incase i change my mind about the shapes :)

Back