• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Marks 120cm Bay Fronted Jungle "A 5 Year Work In Progress"

I dunno, I think it'd look daft upside down, I like the way it is at the moment, but then the proof will be in the pudding as they say.

I like the look of it, although what about turning it around so the large bit on the left and it extends out to the right. The dark of the wood and the dark of the crypt on opposite sides might work quite well.

beeky said:
I like the look of it, although what about turning it around so the large bit on the left and it extends out to the right. The dark of the wood and the dark of the crypt on opposite sides might work quite well.

I thnk left to right would look more natural but the other side of the wood is nowhere near as nice :(

I think left to right works better for European eyes as thats the way we've learnt to read text, however right to left scapes work just as well and that bit of wood looks great the way you have it. I would try and tilt it a bit so the longest 'branch' is not laying flat but pointing upwards slightly.

That said, you often have to try these things in the tank several times before you get it the way you want it or that looks good.

Sam

Themuleous said:
Mark,

I see the Hottonia inflata is growing well? I might use it when I redo my nano.

Sam

I'm not sure about this one yet mate :? it's lost a few of it's lower leaves, and they seem to be verry brittle, no browning they ust seem to snap off :wideyed: OR the siemensis has taking a liking to them :rolleyes: i'll keep you informed of it's progress :)

I'll try and post an updated photo later :D

I meant to tell you, Mark but I totally forgot till just now.
With hatonia you have to SLOWLY introduce it to emerged growth otherwise it will die off like described, I'll try and find the article for you now, it seems as though unlike otherplants it can't just switch over it just dies.

You could simply plant it in a glass vase in the window sill and add a glass of water to it each week, when you notice new shoots transfer them into the tank.

Ferts wont hurt, a handful of something for it anchor in will help too.

Time for an update :D

Day 1...

DSCI0250.jpg

Day 7 after pruning...

DSCI0313.jpg

Themuleous said:
The stems have responed really well to the prune! :D

Yeah i'm pleased with the way thay have grown :D
all that Riccia wil need a trim soon as well :rolleyes:
and i'm going to try that wood for size at the weekend :D
I just wish i could get better photos :arghh:

Time for another update, the oak leaf hit the surface in 10 days so i have cut it down and replanted the tops, the bacopa in the right hand corner and the rotala in the center need trimming back into shape and the rotala on the left needs another hard prune. The wood is still in soak hopefully it can go in at the weekend :D then i'll trim and post some updates.
still got all that riccia to trim as well :rolleyes:

here's some more photos as of last night...

DSCI0415.jpg

DSCI0421.jpg

DSCI0419.jpg

DSCI0417.jpg

That's stunning. You should be very proud.

Did you mean for the Crypt to be the focus when you planned it, as it's perfectly positioned? The R. rotundifolia (I think) behind it is completely hidden though. When you trim next how about cutting it so it's in between the crypt and the background plant (not sure what it is!)

Back