• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Marsilea hirsuta, too far gone?

noodlesuk

Hi

With the other plants in my tank coming along nicely, I decided to try growing some carpet plants. I chose Marsilea Hirsuta, as was described as easy. I ordered some from eBay, a mistake I think, buy cheap, buy twice! It looked a little brown in places on arrival, few dead leaves within the plant. I picked out the better bits and placed in the gravel (tropica soil capped in small gravel) about 2 1/2 weeks ago. Some bits seem to be dying off and detaching as the small stems turn brown. There do appear to be some small amounts of new growth.

I've read this is a fairly slow growing plant, do I need to be more patient and let it recover, or should I buy from a more reputable supplier, to get a better plant to retry with?

Attachments

• 20200825_143517.jpg
    20200825_143517.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 896
I have grown this plant with and without co2. Same ferts, same substrate system, same light. It grew slightly brown and very slow without co2.
With co2...wow...growing rapidly and spreading really fast - I love it! I used the tropica 1-2 grow pots - they have grown nicely each time with injected co2. I have an update video on my YouTube channel (Natquascape) where I give a 3 month updat on my ADA60P - this has Marsilea Hirsuta and I show its growth and how it looks. Hope the info in the video will help you on growing your M. Hirsuta.

Best wishes
Natquascape

There isn't that much of a quality difference in my mind between ebay sellers and established brands. They're all in vitro these days. Your Marsilea Hirsuta looks as it should, it takes a long time to adjust to under water life, and it does better with co2 - or so I'm told.

I have grown this plant with and without co2. Same ferts, same substrate system, same light. It grew slightly brown and very slow without co2.
With co2...wow...growing rapidly and spreading really fast - I love it! I used the tropica 1-2 grow pots - they have grown nicely each time with injected co2. I have an update video on my YouTube channel (Natquascape) where I give a 3 month updat on my ADA60P - this has Marsilea Hirsuta and I show its growth and how it looks. Hope the info in the video will help you on growing your M. Hirsuta.

Best wishes
Natquascape
Thanks for the info, my shrimp seemed to pull most remaining bits out, other than a few very slow growing shoots. Glad it wasn't just me struggling, seems to be listed as an easy carpeting plant on lots of guides.

I had a look at your youtube channel earlier, like your style! Will take a look at the other videos.

There isn't that much of a quality difference in my mind between ebay sellers and established brands. They're all in vitro these days. Your Marsilea Hirsuta looks as it should, it takes a long time to adjust to under water life, and it does better with co2 - or so I'm told.

Thanks for the input. I do think sometimes eBay sellers get a bad press, it was maybe a little on the small side, but maybe quality comparable. I've left what's remaining in, have heard it can suddenly start to shoot up, so fingers crossed it might do at a later date!

Back