• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maths question... My maths sucks ;)

Steve Smith

Ok, random question here. I have two mate's arguing about there mileage on their cycle computers, and it's been established that one of the cycle computers is wrong :lol:

Anywho, the cycle computer at fault has done 54 miles total. We also know that over a 4.35 mile journey, the incorrect computer claims to have done 4.25 miles. How would you work out what the total should be?

The duff computer loses 2.3% each journey. (as 4.25/4.35=0.977, and 100 - 97.7 = 2.3)
54 miles plus 2.3% = 55.24miles

I have not done maths for over 10 years now so I could be talking cr*p :rolleyes:

actual A / reading A = actual B / reading B
( actual A / reading A ) * reading B = actual B
(4.35/4.25)*54 = 55.27

Assuming that it's a constant and linear under-reading.

*edit, sounds like he's got it set up for the wrong sized wheels.

a1Matt said:
looks like I'm not wheely good at maths then :( (or puns :lol: )

Oh dear..

Here's their mileometre:

http://dave.zoit.net/cycle.php

*edit - the funny thing is, I've done way more than both of them, as I cycle 5 miles a day to work and back, whereas they cycle evenings/weekends and very occasionally at the moment (fair weather cyclists :lol:) I'm not keeping count but I'd be on about 200 - 250 miles by now, easily...

So who is going to be the first person to put the bike upside down and sit there cranking the pedals around :lol:

I used to do near enough a thousand miles a month when I was a teenager!!! A friend and me used to just cycle every waking minute we had spare.

a1Matt said:
So who is going to be the first person to put the bike upside down and sit there cranking the pedals around :lol:

I used to do near enough a thousand miles a month when I was a teenager!!! A friend and me used to just cycle every waking minute we had spare.
join the club, although my miles are normally clocked up doing trails halfway up some silly hill in the half dark!

puns = :oops:

Back