• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Matts 60L Jungle Edge (update 27/09/09)

mattyc

This scape has been taken down and a new scape is now in this tank, http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9138

i have decided to put a journal togeather of my first real try at a planted tank.

I have had the tank for 6 months and neaver realy did a scape, it had lots of plants in it (and algie :oops: ) but it was just a jungle.

ok the set up of the tank is a Aqua one horison 60 which came with a light heater and filter.
the filter got thrown in the bin and i put a Fluval 205 680 l/h external filter on the tank.
next i put in the substrate ADA aqua soil i also played around with the look of the tank and eventialy settled on this,

image0087.jpg

in the tank is a big peace of redmoor root and TGM blue stone.
Next i ordered my plants again from TGM the plants i used are,
Cryptocoryne undulata
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Juncus repens
Vallisneria nana

the plants arrived so i split them down ready for planting.

image0088q.jpg

Most of the plants in the tank and just the HCto plant which i split into individual plantlets.

image0089n.jpg

after planting all the plants which took me over 5 hours (bloody HC :twisted: ) and filling the tank with water i left the tank 2 days then put my fish in.

image0093.jpg

the tank has a fermenting co2 kit on it and am doasing with tropica plant nutrition at 0.9ml per day.
I want to put a FE CO2 system on the tank just waiting to get paid so i can buy all the stuff!

i just hope it grows well.

I am getting a bit of crypt melt now after 4 days am just hoping that they recover quickley and get their roots down.

Thanks For looking Matt :D

Re: Matts 60L

That's a great start Matt! Really like the triangle composition, and when that HC fills in, it'll look awesome! I'd be a bit worried about using fermentation CO2, but it should be great if you get your FE setup sorted out! It might be worth looking at Easy Carbo, or an equivelant liquid carbon source to help things along :)

What light unit is that? Looks like an AquaOne luminaire from the pic. Is it a power compact?

I fixed your image links for you by the way :) You might want to consider re-sizing the images as they're quite large, and I know some on the forums might have problems loading them (Paulo :lol: )

i have got easy carbo will start adding a bit in with the ferts how much should i add would 1ml a day be good?
Thanks im glad you like my tank :D
Matt

I'm not sure on the dosage off the top of my head, but I seem to remember it states 1ml for every 50 litres daily. I'd say you'd be fine with 2 - 3ml daily, unless you have any shrimp in the tank which can be affected if you overdose EasyCarbo or any other liquid carbon source.

The light is a aqua one luminair which came with the tank is a 24w compact t4 light unit. can i leave the co2 on over night? i have shrimp in the tank so i need to keep the easycarbo doasage down a bit so i dont kill them!! :lol:

If you're using yeast, then that's pretty much 24/7 (atleast, it is the 3 days or so it's producing CO2). When you get your CO2 kit, I'd get a solenoid if you can which when attached to a timer will turn your CO2 off over night. This will save you CO2 as it's not needed during lights off.

See the CO2 forum or tutorials section for some more info :)

That looks great,think it'll look fantastic when grown in,I like a bit of space,gives a nice clean look which makes the denser planting areas look lush.

Is it safe to use this aquarium without the top brace piece?

I really like the look of rimless tanks, and this one with rounded corners looks really good.

Ger

the top and bottom had plastic strips on it but they didnt realy do anything, they came off verry easily. i much prefer the look of a rimless tank!

Thanks Matt

quick update, i have got my FE co2 setup running now and the hc has been growing a little the problem with the crypts seems to be improving with the heigher co2 levels the plants are putting out new leaves so they should look better soon!

image0096.jpg

Thanks Matt

the tank has been going for two weeks now and i think i should put a quick update on, the crypts have recovered with the more stable co2 and ferteliser conditions. they have been putting out new growth and the HC is growing well. all the plants seem to be growing quite well and is starting to look more like i want the tank to.

well here are the picks
Before
image0093.jpg

After
image0102r.jpg

Thanks for looking

Matt :D

Consider amount of plants in your tank, Do you have algae problem?
I would put more plant at back on the left likes tenellus or parvula to soften HC and taller plant.
Very nice lay out though!! :D

A bit soon to tell for sure, but with the stable CO2, ferts, and water changes, I think it'll be alright for now.

Pretty layout. I really like the crypts and the nana.

What's your bubble rate?

my bubble rate is about 3 per seccond just enough to turn the drop checker lime green the plants are growing faster and faster i think it is because they are putting out more roots, i have changed my doasing slightley i now do

0.5 ml PNT+
1.0 ml PNT
0.5 ml easy-carbo

thanks for looking Matt

Back