Matt's first planted tank

matt.g

Hi there,

Here's my first attempt at a "scape of sorts", I'm a big fan of the jungle-y style of tanks, and certainly am inspired by a number of the tanks on here, and hope that this could develop into something as good in time!!

I know it doesn't conform to the golden rules of aquascaping, but I wasn't keen on the large log that is now on the right of the tank. Previously this was further to the centre, but it left a dead space in the right corner which was dark and horrible!

Hopefully the Sagittaria will grow across the centre of the tank as it has spread in the corners. I did have some Parvula in the centre, but it wasn't doing well and I prefer the thick grassy look of the Sagittaria.

Any thoughts on plant options that I could squeeze in the left corner next to the tall bogwood, something tall and bright as at the moment it is still a little dark.

Really interested to hear your thoughts, good (if there are any) and bad - but just go easy on me :)

cheers,
Matt

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Tank looks good Matt, what is the full setup? Dimenssions, light, co2, ferts, etc......
(I was just about to fix those images when you did it lol)

matt.g

LondonDragon said:
what is the full setup? Dimenssions, light, co2, ferts, etc......

It's dimensions are 200x50x70 with 4x58W T8's (which I'd like to replace when funds allow).

No Co2 or ferts, although I have just invested in some TPN+ which I will start at the weekend..

LondonDragon said:
(I was just about to fix those images when you did it lol)

B***dy Picasa!! It must use temporary session Ids to generate the image names as each time I previewed the message they were there, but I then came back to it and they'd gone.. I'll resort to hosting them myself :)

cheers!!

Matt

matt.g

Tourney said:
Looks lovely Matt :D The plants look very healthy considering you use no Co2 or ferts yet. How long has it been setup?

Thanks! The tank has been setup now for about 8 months, however the majority of the vallisneria is only a couple of weeks old now.

Let's hope they don't melt away :)

Nelson

hi
really like it.i'm new also and into "jungle" style.hope i can do as good as you.
whats your fish list/stock
neil

Man would I love to have that in my liing room! ;)

What's the fish/plant stock? It's great that you don't use CO2 or even ferts! I love the jungle style.

matt.g

Thanks for your kind words..

In terms of stock, I have:

Blue Snakeskin
Blue Royals (or Turks - not sure!)
Red and Yellow Pigeon Bloods
Blue Diamonds
Red Alenquer
Red/Blue Leopard

I've also got a couple of pairs of angels who have paired up so I'm just cycling a couple of breeding tanks for them, then they will go. There are also some Bosenami Rainbows, Coplandi Tetras and a BN plec! Some of the non-discus fish were "rescues", and not my first choice to go with the discus!! :)

cheers!
Matt