• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maximum daily water changes

Nick potts

As per title really, I like doing daily water changes (nano tanks so not too much effort), but what I am unsure on is how much is too much. i.e is 50% daily OK etc?

By the time I have vacced the sand etc, I can easily drain 90% of the tank and still need more.

Thanks

I think the more the better... But maybe for the fishes sake of not having nearly completely terrestrial existence once a day, not 90%/ day. Josh Sim, #1 IAPLC does many small water changes weekly rather than one big one a week. I've started doing it and I think its good. Maybe just 1-2/3rds.

I think the more the better... But maybe for the fishes sake of not having nearly completely terrestrial existence once a day, not 90%/ day. Josh Sim, #1 IAPLC does many small water changes weekly rather than one big one a week. I've started doing it and I think its good. Maybe just 1-2/3rds.

Thanks.

I should point out i don't do 90% changes, just that i would need to to finish vacuuming the sand etc. I was think more along the lines of 50%

I was doing smaller changes (around 5% daily) but advise has been to up it.

50% daily is fine. What are you keeping in there? If it's goldfish, I'd go for 70% daily.

Big water changes as a regular routine are fine. The tank water won't have changed much from your tap (or whatever) water.

When you hear about big water changes causing trouble it's generally a neglected tank that hasn't seen a water change for months or years. In that case a big change can be quite a shock to the fish and plants and a series of smaller ones are better.

I clean the filter probably once a month or so, unless i notice it is dirty or not running as it should etc

Back