• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

may i pick your brains plant guru's

alan_uk

hello everyone

i am currently on the hunt for some plants that are tall easy to grow in low light no co2 low maintenance that will do good in sand substrat and fill out well making for a nice display for my american cichlid tank

any suggestions

i have java fern, anubius, and am thinking of vallis (if it will do good in my conditions)

and looking for another if possible would amazon swords do well ??

thank you for your info

alan :thumbup:

thank you there all really cool plants i especially like the first and last they would look really nice in my tank :)

Justbeware these aren't just tall plants. They can get real real big)

I sold some Spiralis a couple of years ago that had 'outgrown' my 125tr (13" from substrat to water surface.)

It was erm 24 inches tall and very well grown :)
spiralisout.jpg

AC

Hi

I put a common amazon sword into my 3ft which is an 18inch high tank, and it's low tech. Within about a month to 6 weeks it grew from the half tank height, to become a very tall plant with flowing leaves that are now touching the surface. It looks great! :) I have no luck with Java fern but this plants going from strength to strength.
Cheers
Gavin

i was thinking of amazon swords too but was unsure if they live ok with no co2 and low light not even 1watt per gallon ?

i usually see them and there all melting

Hey, just buy one a cheap one and see how it goes. I've uprooted and replanted mine a couple of times. No CO2 and mines alot less than 1 watt per gallon. PM me your email and I can send a pic from my IPhone :)

alan_uk said:
they would of been perfect :(

got any more???

Lol They were out of the tank last week, back in now. Sorry. I was reshaping the rear section of the tank.

Those 3 in that picture were actually me removing all the Spiralis from the tank. Problem with Crypts is you leave a biot of root and you guessed it :)

A couple of months time I may have some spare. May be juvenile though. Circa 5cm. You would have the joy of watching it do the other 55cm plus :)

AC

cool well keep me in mind as i will buy them regardless of size :)

my tank is 20" tall so they will be good :)

im about to remove a sword plant from my tank to make room for some crypts, pm if interested (it also produces 1 or 2 plantlets every 6 weeks aswell)

Back