• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Me and my crazy tiny 'tank' idea....

Azaezl

I've been growing riccia on my kitchen window sill for months now and it only occurred to me the other day that if I'm going to grow it, I may as well grow it in style :p After seeing the tiny planted jars / glasses etc in this months' PFK I knew what to do.

So first I got a glass, now considering we don't drink we have ALOT of wine / champagne glasses, flutes, etc, why is it that when you get married people seem to think glasses are a good present :rolleyes: anyway we have some very fancy ones but they have intricate patterns on them so viewing wouldn't be very good. So I figured I'd use one of our skull glasses, adds a bit of character as well :p

So on to the pics, first I added some Cladophora aegagrophila to the bottom, hopefully this will help stop any other algae by sucking up any excess nutrients,then I added the riccia;

glass8.jpg

It looked kind of empty so I added some egeria;

glass1.jpg

It didn't quite look right and then I remembered I had a tiny bit of wood that had broken off one of the big bits of wood i got the other day so I put that in and tried to create a tree effect with the riccia;

glass2.jpg

glass7.jpg

Again didn't like the look of it so just let the riccia float and decided to have the wood bare;

glass3.jpg

glass4.jpg

glass5.jpg

glass6.jpg

Just one of my random ideas, wonder how it will turn out, good I hope :D

Thanks :D Just hope it stays looking like that and doesn't turn into a mess.

I was wondering about that Sam, I've been growing riccia in a plastic tub on the window sill for months and had no problems but that barely had water in it, just enough so that the riccia was just about floating. I'm hoping the Cladophora will outcompete any other algae, it's a pretty tuff algae, it's been surviving for months now in a tank lit with a very dull table lamp. I'm thinking of having it on the window sill from dawn until about midday, see how that goes and then increase / decrease the time as necassary.

Bubbly pic from this morning;

glasstoday.jpg

I only set it up yesterday so haven't actually changed the water yet, but my plan is to tip the water out(removing the riccia first) and add water from one of the other tanks. I did have a small pot of riccia growing and I attempted to add some flora boost I had left over from months ago, managed to tip loads in and the water was a red mess, I figured I'd leave it just to see what happened and the riccia grew fine but the inside of the tub became covered in algae, was very interesting.

The larger tub I had the riccia in used to pearl alot, infact it's the only time I ever saw pearling, never noticed it in any of my tanks but in a tiny volume of water such as that I guess it's more noticeable.

I just had a brilliant idea, if only my OH would let me do it. I was thinking about what else could be planted and well....

Imagine planting this;

alienhead2.jpg

alienhead.jpg

My husband would go mental if I did, would look good though, like one of those sets you get where you grow 'grass hair' :lol: Ok it's official I'm taking it too far, I'm nuts :p Would be interesting to see how it looked, an alien head with a green mohawk :lol:

Thanks but it's not really mine, it's my husbands, he has allsorts of film stuff like that, he has a massive bust of the chatterer from the hellraiser films too, as well as half a dozen puzzle boxes dotted about.

That's his obsession films & memorabillia, he puts posters on every wall, statues about the place and has box after box of collectibles stacked up in our bedroom as well as the 12 6ft shelves full of dvds, boxes full of dvds, dvds piled up on the floor in those big folder things, he is well and truly addicted! So he never protests at my fish / plant obsession because they take up less space then all of his stuff, only difference is I love all the film stuff too so I'm a winner on both counts :lol:

Brilliant, have you tried it with those glass cubes for orchids? I reckon you could make a nice nano out of one of those.

Yes Garuf I thought about one of those and had a look in tescos to see what they have, £6 each :wideyed: I have a better idea for value for money and it won't need to be on the window sill as it comes with a light. I recently discovered a tiny 5.5 Litre tank for sale in my local garden centre for £18.99. I wouldn't consider putting any fish in it but my glass idea has made me think twice about buying one and making it a little planted tank.

Details;

The Aquabox is a great way to enjoy fishkeeping on a smaller scale, but with many of the benifits usually only seen in larger, more expensive Aquariums.

Aquabox is a glass Aquarium which comes complete with an internal Power filter with adjustable flow rate, clear rigid plastic cover, built in drawer for keeping food, water conditioners etc. to hand, an adjustable light unit which also features a 5w LED bulb for 'moonlight' effect once the main light is switched off.

Aquarium Capacity - 5.5 litres

Aquarium Dimensions - 21 x 19 x 28cm

Supplied in a full colour display box
fish r f...uabox

Video of it;

you can get those cubes a pound a piece from £land and places like that, get that cube though, I'd love to see how it would look sensibly scaped.

They're pretty cheap from IKEA too. I have lots of the vases with Moth Orchids in and one with an emergent Echinodorus osiris 'Rubra' that's taking ages to get growing well!

Well the tiny tank has been upgraded, my husband was just using the last CD-R out of a 100 spindle and he asked if I wanted it for anything and I thought it would be perfect to upgrade my little glass. Then I decided I wanted to add a substrate, I've always wanted to try soil and seeing as it was 7pm I couldn't go to a garden centre to get any so I figured I'd just use what was in my garden. Took me about 20 mins to rinse enough of it, good thing is I found 7 earthworms so my fish / frogs got a treat, think I might dig some more up at some point the frog & corys went mad over them. Anyway on to the pics;

crazytank2.jpg

crazytank.jpg

crazytank4.jpg

crazytank3.jpg

Back