• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Meander - Ended As Planted 31/07/2021

Been looking up Thai micro crabs - they sound interesting. Looking forward to finding out how they get on.
Cheers,
Simon

They are very unassuming, Keep tp themselves and you may spot one every so often hanging about in the mass of plants. or wafting for food particles. Their legs do come off very easily though, so you have to be delicate with them, I use a fan makeup brush when adding them to the tanks. As they you can lift them up nicely and gently lower them into the water.
I inadvertently posted one of them with plants many years ago. And it survived fine for up to a week in transit.

Bit of a Disaster today, brother was chucking all the accumulated stuff in the garden into the skip. And threw away all my spare tanks and tubs into the skip. As he thought the plants were all junk.
There was only about 4 inches of water in each tank and tub to keep the plants alive. And he chucked the tank with the Longfin Minnow fry in it aswell, that was in the Lean To :confused::confused::confused::confused:. There was no chance of saving anything, as all the tanks etc smashed in the Skip. Even my Tall tank from Custom Aquaria did not survive, and that was going to have orchid mantids in it.
Oh well these things can happen when moving house.

It does give me the excuse to buy all new Tubs etc for outdoor projects though on the Patio.

damn for that price you can get a rimless tank?
I have had a few rimless tanks now. Wanted to go back to a hooded tank. As want to create planting shelves on the Bracing Lip. And that way the baskets will be hidden by the hood. I will be using the fridge storage baskets, as they have a handy handle for lifting out for maintenance. And they are easily modified to accept and inlet and outlet.

Last edited:
Tank will be delivered today, and Dean is Kindly Building the Cabinet for me. As I would mostly ruin it.
Will post pix as I start fitting everything together and the background with the prefilter etc.
I have also Ordered some interesting lighting modules to try out on this, to see how the plants will react. I used something Similar many years ago, and had good growth from it. Plus it looks like a Triffid to me 😂

Last edited:
Also I will document the corale I will be making for the floating plants. So that they are not buffeted about and have a chance to grow into a dense matt. Like in Sea of Ferns.

Tank was delivered at 1pm and just sat down.
I thought I was doing well. And then the postie arrived with 20 Parcels. So the timing was perfect.
Got the plants unpacked that i had bough from here and everything else.
Still cant figure out how to connect to the smart extension plug. And after 30 mins unplugged it and plugged in a normal plug.
I had forgotten how long it takes to set up everything from scratch.
Everything has been setup Bar the Additional Lighting. AS this is still to arrive.
I do really like how bright the luminaire looks. and they way it sits above the tank on the goosenecks.
I realised after finishing. That I Made a mistake with the resin background. And put it in place before i put the gravel in. So the level is all wrong.
So will have to remove all the planting and hardscape and add more gravel and then re add it and then start again.
The glare was bad so pix look crap. As there is light coming from behind the tank and from the living room window.
The Dog bless him was underfoot the whole time, hoping for some plants to eat. So gave him the occasional vallis to munch on. In the end had to give him one of his venison treats to keep him quiet, so that i could get one with it.

Aldo glad that i went shopping earlier in the day, and picked up the multitool that was on offer in Lidl, as it made cutting the background the size a doddle.

I do really like the tank and how it looks. And will take better pix tomorrow. As I still need to build the canopy.

Also I did not notice that the Bloody Mary Shrimp had also arrived and had been sitting on the front step. So these have been chucked in a jug for now. Will have to stay there, as was not expecting them till next week.

This is with the background in and the XXL peice of bogwood.
And I hate it. So the background will be removed and the tank replanted and scaped.
Really did think I would like it more, but sadly not.
And thank you to everyone for the plants. They are more like mother plants. And completely blew me away.

The floating plants will be added once I make a corale for them.

8ca61ab87b0e30e918c9bed4652c7ec2.jpg
362ce53797111e024da866f8e8d6e5c8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

The filtration is all follows:
UGF:
X2 plates with a 400lph pump driving them
Then a layer of bio media balls
Then the fluorite red x1 bag
Then x1 bag of the reddish brown Betta gravel x25kilos(did not wash, just added water very slowly). And this will give me a nice deep bed for filtration.

External is OK, 850 lph and a 1000lph wave maker.

Unusual lighting arrived and it is massive, alot bigger than expected and maybe too big for this size tank. I will fit it and see how is looks. Or it will be my Desk Lamp. Certainly looks cool when on. And it has a Built in Timer and strobe effect.

Ripped out the Background and redid the tank and scape.
Looks so much better now that the plants are where I wanted them to be.
Bogwood has been turned up and over, and now looks proper. Creating a large Arch and planting area above the water line.
Kessil Light arrived, and the shimmer effect is stunning.
Also added the Eheim Prefilter, as why not use it.
Shrimp are coming later today, as found someone local closing down their breeding tank and also their BN Plecs breeders. So bought them all.

I finally feel happy with the tank. I guess I was in a Funk when it arrived, and just threw it together without much thought.

Will take some pix later once the glare has gone.

Have added some pentazonas, for a different peaceful dither.

I really like the arch this peice of bogwood makes.

I will make a living background again, but this time. I will use crochet netting. And attach moss and plants to it. And it will be attached using suction cups used for airline.
0b141a56be9da5e9ea9b3db2505be6d1.jpg
af79f309f86966d18a87b2a3086497e5.jpg
e7f42a1af217af27b3aa67099a1a4d97.jpg
6225ee1f6bf1353149015ba5de521bb9.jpg
992677a0ad93e83985b55cf9861456d2.jpg
09cdef0f3acda0a2b876edaa2bcd0c62.jpg

I know that it does not look like much at the moment. This will be a long journey, and it will be months before the plants start to grow in the way I had envisaged. I will try not to tweak it too much and just let it be.

Little bit of a bacterial bloom this morning, which is to be expected.
A few of the crinums have melted as expected, they should send out new growth soon. Snails are doing their jobs and eating what has melted.
Fish are doing great, And it is lovely to watch them swim amongst the stems and in and around the massive bogwood. And this will only look better as the plants grow taller and begin to sway in the flow. And once I have sourced the pipefish, they will love the grab holds all over the tank. And at all levels of the water column.

I am really enjoying the shimmer from the Kessil lighting, it looks great in the evening. And also saves having to turn on any lamps downstairs.
I have not plugged in the fluval lighting, as I dont think I will need it. I also still have a Chihiros light unit left. might use it might not.

Last edited:
Back