• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Media Basket

Due to bypass issues with my Eheim 2213 I want to remove the media basket that is supplied with the filter. I’ve bought two of the Lattice screens that used to be supplied with the 2213 and I’ve ordered some filter foam. I thought though it might be more convenient to have some kind of basket for the biological media. I do have some mesh bags but I’m not convinced the water will flow through as well as it could. As a result I’ve made a basket from some silicon mesh. Hopefully I can try it out in a few days.

Attachments

• E09BA87F-D87C-4EA6-9BC6-3F5DF90512B6.jpeg
    E09BA87F-D87C-4EA6-9BC6-3F5DF90512B6.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 1,874
  • 5545B968-0152-4C6C-83F7-A172CC63B0F4.jpeg
    5545B968-0152-4C6C-83F7-A172CC63B0F4.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 164
With the existing basket, water flows not only up through the bottom of the basket but also around the outside bypassing all the media. I’m planning on fitting filter foams in the bottom which will be a snug fit. On top of this will be the new basket. I’m expecting all the large debris to be trapped by the foams rather than bypassing them to some extent as they do at the moment.

Pros and cons. A much larger percentage of the water should pass through the media. It should also keep the biological media a bit cleaner. The filter will clog quicker though requiring more regular maintenance. This though is how the 2213 used to be before Eheim added the basket. Existing 2213 filter foams are too small to fit the canister as they are obviously designed to go in the Eheim basket. I’ll need to cut foams to go directly in the canister. Luckily though Eheim still make the Lattice Screens to enable dispensing with their basket if you wish.

I won’t know the results until it’s been running for a few weeks.

The Foams arrived today so I’ve just cut them up into rounds on the bandsaw. Once I’ve worked out how many foams I’m going to use I’ll trim the top of the basket to suit.

Attachments

• 3A94BB4C-CE8D-43FE-A7BC-8CEB96CFAA7F.jpeg
    3A94BB4C-CE8D-43FE-A7BC-8CEB96CFAA7F.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 137
Update: I’ve just carried out a routine filter clean and I’m still getting bypass! I’m really not sure what’s happing here. As noted earlier the bottom of the canister contains several snug fitting filter foams and then the biological media in a basket. The coarse foams at the very bottom were virtually clean. The fine foam above them contained a large amount of the usual brown sludge. The biological media in the basket was also covered in some sludge. Strange indeed, I obviously don’t appreciate exactly how the water flows through my filter. I have replaced the media as it is while I give it some thought! :)

Actually my mistake, thinking about it some more I’m not sure there is any bypass. The coarse foams at the bottom are doing virtually nothing whilst the fine foam is absorbing as much detritus as it can then letting the excess through into the bio media. My first experiment next time I do a routine clean up is to add another fine foam and see what happens.

Back