• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Media order - conflicting advice

idris

Having read various recommendations on media, I had understood that course foam media should go before ceramic bio media, which could even go last?

I wasn't sure whether my filter was top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top, so I RTFM'd.

The instructions clearly suggest bio-media should go first.

Your thoughts? Screenshot_20211031-082236_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Bio Media worth a read. I would have the bio media last and not too much of it or not at all. Filters go form course to fine except for prefilter which may be finer then first filter media however the prefilter should be cleaned regularly/weekly/biweekly which can reduce how often the main filter needs cleaning. However if prefilters are not cleaned frequently they soon clog up and reduce filter output/tank turnover and can/does lead to CO2 issues if using CO2 injection

But why would JBL disagree?
For the similar reason they uses multiple products for plant ferts/nutrition and not All In One solution, profits and it suits their needs 🤷‍♂️

As above.

"Bio media" isn't usually needed in most planted setups, but if using it I would always have it as the final stage.

The sponges are designed to trap all the waste etc before it clogs up your bio media, having the bio first defeats that purpose and will just cause it to lose efficiency.

For the similar reason they uses multiple products for plant ferts/nutrition and not All In One solution, profits and it suits their needs 🤷‍♂
Whilst I wouldn't disagree with your view of profit led business models, I can't see how that would explain recommending a different order to fill baskets.

True, you should ask them why their Micromec page seems to contradict the filter instructions as well.

Back