• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Medications with twinstar/chihiros?

Yes and No
Benefit - anytime medications are used in the aquarium, daily water changes, increased aeration (oxygenation of water) is recommended as almost all medication active ingredients will sequester oxygen

Con - depending upon what is actually leased by the membrane (lots of conjecture but I don’t believe any refereed scientific study), there may be increased oxidative reactions with medication active ingredients ie medication may have reduced efficacy

I don’t see how the reactor membrane could be negatively affected :confused:
(limescale deposits etc would be more likely)

Thanks i was thinking it would be good to have it in there for the extra o2, but assumed it could interfere with the meds in some way seeing as we don't know a major amount about the product/technology.

I was thinking more along the lines of staining the reactor rather than damage. Calcium is definitely it's enemy :lol:

Yes, I hadn’t thought about possible blue staining of the white plastic (though the finish on my old Twinstar reactor seems impervious, I’ve no idea about the Chihiros version)

Do you have an air stone you could temporarily replace it with to get the increased oxygenation? Does the medication require increased oxygenation?

Do you have an air stone you could temporarily replace it with to get the increased oxygenation? Does the medication require increased oxygenation?

As above - I'd remove it. If it's oxygen you're worried about add an airstone. If there is no requirement for additional oxygenation then I wouldn't bother with that either

What meds is it and what you are treating?

Thanks guys, i was pretty much thinking the same thing. I don't think i'll add an air stone because it's an open top tank and the bubbles/splashing would be annoying and could splash the wall behind or the lighting unit above from previous experience.

I'm doing rounds of preventative meds, mainly for internal parasites/worms for my new gouramis and rams.

Back