• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Meeting with Unipac and Director Roy Devani.

Graeme Edwards

Founder
I wanted to mention the meeting we had with Roy Devani Director of Unipac. A very nice and down to earth guy.
We went through to their head office and warehouse to rescape their aquarium they have in the public waiting area. We were basically doing this to say thanks to Roy and pay back a favor for all the hard scape ie rocks wood and gravel he has kindly given to us for the festival of fish keeping. We also filled Roy in on what we thought of his product range from artificial rocks ( great for Malawi set ups ) through to what our thoughts were about the wood he can supply. He supplies many wholes sale's, but as we ( Ukpas ) are concerned, not enough, considering how extensive the range of rocks and interesting gravels and sands he provides. We gave Roy some feedback about the cut ends on Unipacs wood, and he is looking into changing the appearance of the woods cut ends, ie braking them or cutting them on an angle.Also we talked about planted substrates. He seems very interested to hear about this new hobby ( nature aquarium ) in the UK, obviously this could open a market for him.
This mutual back scratching seems to be one step forward to promoting the hobby to Uk traders and raising the awareness of what UK aquascapers want. At the same time we are helping and supporting UK trade which can only be a good thing. One small step for plant, one giant leap for plant kind!
We will be keeping in touch with Roy to give him feed back and to encourage him to help us push this side of our hobby forward.
I should say, when at your local fish shop, please ask them about stocking Unipacs range of hardscape materials they offer.

Heres some pictures of the event.

The Gravel is Unipacs own complete substrate. We need to look into this product some more to see how it fairs for planted aquaria. The rock are amazing. They are called spaghetti rock, very interesting shapes and color. Its hard to say what they are made from, they are a natural rock but from what part of the world we are unsure. This is just one of many interesting rocks Unipac supply.

These rocks were very easy to arange, that was my part done :eek:)

Dan filling the tank.

Were were limited by the plants we had, hence the sparce appreance, i think Dan will top them up at some point, he only lives around the corner.

Cheers,
Graeme.

I'm more inclined to look at Unipac stuff now I know they're British. I always assumed they were a european company for some reason - Dupla, Dennerle kind of thing.

Do they have a list of current retailers? Catalogue?

Do we have any contact details for Unipac that we can ask them for an Adobe or similar scanned version of the catelogue to post on here?

I know that Ripples in Shenstones nr Lichfield stocks Unipac stuff, since the sand and wood I used for my little tank are Unipac branded and I suspect that the landscaping rock available there is the same, although it wasn't labelled. it would still be interesting to see if there are other places stocking their stuff near me too.

Hi Ulster Exile, the catalogue is very basic and it's really hard to try and gather what the rocks actually look like, both times i've received rocks from them they have been very different from the catalogue (in a good way). Also unipac will not appreciate calls from the end user, they are strictly for the wholesalers. You/the retailers may have to trust us in saying that there stuff is good. The shops should have no problems in calling them and asking for some details.

BigDanne said:
Also unipac will not appreciate calls from the end user, they are strictly for the wholesalers.

That's precisely the point I was trying to make - one contact asking for something that can be posted online (ie for lots of people to see) to give an idea of who stocks this stuff! I certainly wasn't asking for a contact number so that it can be posted publicly for every Tom, blahblahblahblah or Harry to use :rolleyes:

As stated, I know their stuff is good as I have some of it - I just want to know where I can see more of it! If I wanted to buy unseen or purely on the word of others, I'd buy from AE.

I will give Roy an email and see if he can send me a list of shops that stock his prducts. Its possible that he does, but i would think he only has a list of the whole salers that he sells to.We shall see, i will pass on your coments.

Cheers,
Graeme.

I use unipac wood the stuffs amazing, now lets see if they can come up with some substrate as good as aquasoil :p

I did a google search to see what substrate (sand, gravel etc) they did and hardly anything came up. I couldn't find any shops advertising it.

Just uncovered a stockist for unipac wood and rock:

http://www.onlineaquariumstore.com

They don't seem to do any substrate though, and no pictures.

I found them by looking for plumbing bits, of which they they have a good selection. Unfortunately they want £7.95 for postage which is a bit steep. Especially, if you only want a 'T' piece.

LOL, whats that your trying to say? Does any one have a picture from a catolge of the wood? I have quite a few booklets, but the picture doesnt do it justice. Have a look back at the FOF dissplay tank we did, all the wood in there is Unipac wood. I have some peices at home, if i get a chance ill take a pic of them and show you what its like.

Graeme.

Hi Guys, i've now got the catalogue images, some of the photos are ok but a lo of them don't do them justice.
SUMATRADRIFTWOOD.jpg

This replica wood is really quite convincing in the flesh! they do a "bog wood" style too which is better.
REPLICADRIFTWOOD.jpg

I am yet to check out the mopani wood
WOODRANGE.jpg

these are some of the more appealing rocks but there are loads of other varieties.
WHITESPAR.jpg

SPIDERSWEB.jpg

SPAGHETTIROCK.jpg

ROMANGRANITE.jpg

RAINBOWSLATE.jpg

LAVAROCK.jpg

MULTICOLOURVEINAGATE.jpg

BLACKAGATE.jpg

This replica rock is really really good, would be great in a milawi setup.
REPLICABASEROCK-ASSORTED.jpg

Well as you can see they do a lot of stuff and from what i've used it's all really good. Alot of LFS already stock their stuff, MA for one but but i'm yet to see them stocking Sumatra wood it always seems to be Bog Wood.
Anyway, i hope yo see somthing that you like? if so ask your LFS to stock their stuff.

Back