• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

mercury vapor - your thoughts?

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi all, i've just acquired two Arcadia 3 series 125w mercury vapor pendants and wondered what your thoughts were. I've gotta replace the bulbs and lampspecs have 4100K bulbs but thats it. Dennerle do some too @ 4000.
I have a 100w Arcadia 80cm luminaire at the moment and i'm thinking of replacing it with either one or both over my 80cm (160l)
I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Dan

Hey BigDan!
The K ratings are all over the map these days. Theoretically the 4000K should appear reddish/orangyish but these are sometimes meaningless. It's better if they gave a wavelength value, then you'd kind of know what kind of visual impact to expect. They might look a bit dim and eerie, but then again they might be OK. The plants won't care though.

Cheers,

I have been running them for the last 6 years over my 500litre discus tank, i really rate them !!!!!!!!!

Dan Crawford said:
what do ya hate about them pal?

I think JazzyJeff states that he "rates" it (high?), not that he "hates" it. I'm assuming that's a good thing? :?

Cheers,

Have too agree the colour of them is a bit yellowish but I dont mind that, they still make my discus look good !!!!!

Well i've suspended them from the ceiling and they look awesome. The colour is teffific, there is currently one pink and one white bulb in there and i'm more than happy with it, better than the colours from my Dennerle T5's IMO, well cuffed.

Anyone want an 80cm arcadia T5 luminaire? :)

Dan Crawford said:
Hi all, i've just acquired two Arcadia 3 series 125w mercury vapor pendants and wondered what your thoughts were. I've gotta replace the bulbs and lampspecs have 4100K bulbs but thats it. Dennerle do some too @ 4000.
I have a 100w Arcadia 80cm luminaire at the moment and i'm thinking of replacing it with either one or both over my 80cm (160l)
I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

Dan

So did you put them both over the tank in the end?

I used to run a tank under MV, and I loved it - really brings out the green of plants for me. Also loved the 'sunrise effect' when they go on - much nicer than flourescent flickering!

Can you take a pic of them over the tank? Let us know how your plants get on with them.

Here they are, i really like them, the look of the luminaire it's self and the color of the lamps.
I've raised the rear one up a bit so you can see them both. The Arcadia suspension kit is genius!
IMG_1027Small.jpg

IMG_1026Small.jpg

Dan Crawford said:
We'll see, it'll take some tweeking and NUFF co2 but i recon i can handle it. Watch this space....
Yeah will be great to see the end results, I am now trying 6x24w over my Rio 125 just for testing too. But still nothing compared to what you going to try, what kind of photo periods you plan to run?

Back