• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mermaid plant changing shape ?

eminor

Hello, i don't know what's going on with that plant, it looks like the leaf shapes is different on new leaves, can somebody tell me why, is she in bad health ? thx

Attachments

• 295932319_788399902198328_491200957137481093_n.jpg
    295932319_788399902198328_491200957137481093_n.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 129
Mermaid weeds prefers a tank with a lot of light. Higher PAR (100+ umols) couple with stronger red/blue spectrum is necessary to bring out its best colors. It also prefers a high level of CO2 and nutrient availability - lacking which the plant will become more thin and small. There is close correlation between CO2/nutrient availability and the overall size of the plant; which makes it a good indicator plant for those factors.

AI0Q9583 pp processed web.jpg

anyway, since its still green, maybe these are still the emersed leaves? The submersed leaves should be red if you have enough light. If these are submersed leaves, then they are quite "thin" who according to 2hr aquarist, it is lacking either CO2 or nutrients.
when I had it in my old tank, I got the emersed version, but it turned red pretty fast at the top. The bottom leaves the colour is not as nice.

in the end i didn't find the plant suitable - like the 2hr aquarist writeup points out, it spreads out its branches and takes a lot of space but is the leaves are quite spaced apart. I've switched instead of Myriophyllum 'Roraima'/ 'Red Stem' because they have much finer and densely packed leaves and so it makes a better 'bush' that Mermaid weed.

Last edited:

View attachment 191523
anyway, since its still green, maybe these are still the emersed leaves? The submersed leaves should be red if you have enough light. If these are submersed leaves, then they are quite "thin" who according to 2hr aquarist, it is lacking either CO2 or nutrients.
when I had it in my old tank, I got the emersed version, but it turned red pretty fast at the top. The bottom leaves the colour is not as nice.

in the end i didn't find the plant suitable - like the 2hr aquarist writeup points out, it spreads out its branches and takes a lot of space but is the leaves are quite spaced apart. I've switched instead of Myriophyllum 'Roraima'/ 'Red Stem' because they have much finer and densely packed leaves and so it makes a better 'bush' that Mermaid weed.
thanks, i use low light right now, might be the cause because the co2 is really high in this tank, the flow is perfect, not nutrients either. Yes mermaid can't make a real bush i think, it's hard to put it in a scape

i actually prefer the new shapes of the plant

Back