• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

messey pipe work

naz

iv got a oska 260l tank with 2 filters running ,fluval 305 & 405,iv had them on each side of the tank one in the left cabnet one on the right,i want to put them in the same cabnet to free up some space,my question is, could i conect the 2 intake pipes up inside the cabet with a t piece conection so i dont have two have two intake pipes running up to the tank,and the pipe wwork looks messy,i now or i think i can do it wiht the outakes pipes,so i can just have 2 pipes running up to the tank,running 2 filters, instead of 4, witch will look awful

Hey naz,
Are you using the standard Fluval ribbed hosing? If you are, I think you might find that you have all sorts of fun and games trying to connect them to a splitter - I gave up on trying to get them onto the hosetails of a Vecton UV as they just kept leaking even when using jubilee clips and double-sided sticky pads in an attempt to "seal" the ribs of the hosing to the hosetail.

Assuming you are using 12mm unribbed hose, I might be tempted to try and tee them to a 16/22mm hose and intake, because bare in mind that both filters are going to be "pulling" down the same intake, and you would be essentially trying to double the normal flow rate in the 12mm hose. You might find that an identical setup on the output side is also beneficial.

The layout would then be:

Tank -> 16mm intake -> 16mm hose -> 16mm to twin 12mm Tee piece -> 12mm hose to filters
filters -> 12mm hose -> twin 12mm Tee to single 16mm -> 16mm hose -> 16mm outlet -> tank

It is also worth checking the flow rates for the 305 and 405 - if they have the same head and lph rating then you should be OK, however if they have different rated flow rates, you may also need to introduce taps and/or non-return valves into the circuit in order to balance the flow through the pumps else you might find that on the outflow the 405 is trying to push water back into the 305.

It's a lot of work and hassle - wouldn't a single larger filter and stick the two small ones on eBay be a better option?

it11.

thanks for the reply stricky11,done it last night,it was a lot of work,toke about 3 hour of messing about wiht it ,but i think it was werth it,got both the filters combined togehter running thought the aqua medic reactor,in to the spray bar,and it seem to be running ok,it has realy in proved my flow of co2 .great,:lol:

Back