• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Metal Halide Distance and coverage

I was thinking about going into using one of those combination luminaire with 1 MH light and 2x T5HO light. However, as I'm intending to setup the unit in singapore, heating becomes a problem due to the temperature the unit produces. Can I use a 2 feet unit over a 3 feet tank but raise it up higher? Maybe around 12-18 inches height above the water level?

The tank I had in mind was a 90x45x45 and the option available to me is either a 150W luminaire with 2x 39W T5HO or 1x 150 with 2x 24W. Judging at the power of the MH bulb, I'm guessing that it make no significant difference in terms of lighting power but 3 feet unit might have a better coverage due to the 39W bulb. However saying that, the 2 feet unit produces 198W light over 180L tank, which is pretty intense and hanging it 2 feet above the tank should have provide enough coverage and yet provide enough light for a high light tank right? I've not use MH before hence the stupid sounding question. I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on this issue. thanks

What kind of plants can you grow with that level of light? Would it be sufficient to grow HC in a let say 2 feet deep tank?

Hmm. I'm assuming you are saying that the light wasn't enough for high light plants in this case then? I was thinking of 2 feet above the tank in a 45cm height tank and was hoping to grow HC, GE or pogostemon helferi in the foreground... Guess I might have to rethink that idea.

Hard to say to be honest. My tank is all very low tech, so no dosing or anything. You might find with co2 and ferts that it's enough light. The glosso seemed to vary 50/50 between growing upwards and sideways, so probably on the edge of the light limit for carpeting. This was only 70W over 9 square feet of tank though.

Oh I see. I ended up assuming it was 150W or 250W. Guessed 150W suspended 2 feet above the tank would do for me then! Cheers. Was just looking up different lighting system and tank unit in singapore and can't believe how much we pay through our nose for the same item here! I feel bad if I put up a journal here when I do my tank up in the future. lol

Dan

Back