• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Metamorphosis

Kezzab

An overly grand, but accurate title, for a tadpole tank for the kids. £15 from POH. Going to treat it as a bit of an experiment. Not done anything yet or even really sure what the plan is - but going to go au naturale and maybe forage!

Got roundly laughed at by the missus for collecting leaves. Which is fair enough.

WP_20160307_002.jpg

Ok, this is quite fun. After a trip to the local pond i've borrowed some plants and some livestock. It'll all get returned once the frogs are ready to release (note we have no frog spawn yet). I'm not sure what any of the plants are, i have 5 different ones. I've also borrow a small amount of'substrate'.

The water temp has gone up to 18c from probably around 6c but everything seems ok and i guess this is little different from summer temperatures.

So far we have a couple of caddis fly type larva, some water louse, various unknown nymphs, some tiny worms. Really interesting for the kids.

I'm running a filter on on it but have put sponge over the outflow to reduce the flow a lot, the pond it all came from has pretty much zero flow. No other kit, just ambient light from the window (the light in the pic is just for the pic).

The height on the left is so i can lower the water and have somewhere for the froglets to climb out on to.

Would be interested if anyone can ID the plants.
WP_20160313_025.jpg

We're probably approaching the point where these tadpoles need returned to the pond. I've really enjoyed this. It's turned into a triffid tank. Sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, it's certainly not an aquascape! But it's about as natural as you'll get.
WP_20160519_001 (1).jpg

This is going really well. The 'newtpoles' have hatched and are swimming free, tadpoles getting fat. Plants growing, although with it being so cold it's quite slow. Loads of life in the tank - snails, daphnia, copepods, various invert worm/larvae. Water crystal clear. Interesting to see new things appearing.

The broken bit of Bog Bean i threw in is in leaf too.

Attachments

• WP_20170428_07_44_01_Pro[1].jpg
    WP_20170428_07_44_01_Pro[1].jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 117
Love this. How old are your kids? I think my four year old would be very interested

Back