• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MgSO4 to MgSO4*7(H2O) (Starting to use EI)

André Inácio

Seedling
Hi all,

I've recently started a new planted tank project, mainly to learn about EI and plants needings.
I've bought the EI Starter Kit (from AquariumPlantFood), and made the recipe according to them.

4tsp Potassium Nitrate
1tsp Potassium Phosphate
6tsp Magnesium Sulphate
500ml Water

Although, I would like to know more precisely how many ppm's am I adding to my tank.

I've been trying to use EI calculators (http://www.theaquatools.com/fertilization-calculator), but all of them ask for MgSO4*7(H2O) instead of MgSO4, (witch is what I bought from AquariumPlantFood). I know that MgSO4 and MgSO4*7(H2O) aren't the same thing, so the calculator results will be wrong, so what I would like to know is: is there anyway to know for example, how many grams of MgSO4 corresponds to 100grams of MgSO4*7(H2O)?

Hope this makes sense, and sorry for my bad english.

Thanks in advance

André

Although, I would like to know more precisely how many ppm's am I adding to my tank.
This is the birth of a very bad habit, which will never help you grow better plants and will bend you mind in the wrong direction.

There is a very good reason that the dosing scheme is called The Estimative Index and not The Precision Index.

Cheers,

Thank you all for the replies.
Yes, I am well aware that the Estimative Index base is exactly the word "Estimative", and I am getting good results with the recipe provided by AquariumPlantFood, my tank has almost two months, and plants are growing good :) Some algae problems but i think i am getting rid of them. But, anyway, I would like to know if there is a way to know how much 100gr of MgSO4 corresponds to MgSO4*7(H2O), since I have no quimic knowledge, and i think that knowledge is never in excess :)

Thank you! Exactly, when i ordered my salts it was only MgSO4, but now I see heptahydrate too. Everything is much more simple now, no conversions required :)

Back