• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Micro mix pH and anti mould

devakalpa

Hello all,

I am planning to make a micro elements solution using the all-in-one page at James Planted Tank as a rough guide. He mentions using Ascorbic acid as an additive to keep pH in the acidic range to ensure chelated elements stay that way; and using Potassium sorbate as an anti moulding agent.

I was wondering if I can use Citric acid instead as I have some left from my DIY CO2. For the anti moulding agent, is there something more commonly available? I was thinking of vinegar, web search says it is an organic anti moulding agent. It is an acid as well, so maybe two birds in one stone?

Thanks in advance.

Dev

I use Ascorbic acid and Potassium sorbate as an anti moulding agent in my Macro and Micro EI solutions, as to using an alternative in theroy it should work but unsure . I'm sure someone like 'Darrel' knows the answer. but once purchased the Ascorbic acid and Potassium sorbate salts do last a long time as only small amounts are added to each mix.

Only one way to find out....make some up and see if it goes mouldy and plants suffer a deficiency :p

Or just buy some ascorbic acid, as Zeus says, will last a long time.

Some of the micro powders include ascorbic acid and potassium sorbate as supplied.

Back