• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MicroRasboras Unhardy?

GreenNeedle

Don't know what it is with these Zebra micros. I originally bought 12 in August and found one after a month with a white tumor like growth just in front of its anus. A Cory died the very same day.

Since that occurrence another one has had a tumour like growth in the same place and promptly died, I have found the carcass of one also and as far as I can see (it is very hard to count these as they hide deep in the stems) I can only count 6.

Now today there is one (that looks healthy and colourful) gasping away at the water surface. I though about my recent CO2 increase that maybe it was too high but then why are the corys quite happy on the substrate, the other micros still happy in their stems (near the substrate) and shrimp acting normal?

Are these fish more susceptible to disease/bacteria etc than others?

Don't think I will buy them again once they are all gone.

AC

Odd Andy. They are very cute little fish. I have Coffee beans (maculatis). I started with about 12, and after several purchases should have about 26, but from counting them I think I have about 20 or so left (hard to count too!)

Maybe they're just fragile, being quite small compared to other tropicals? Mind, I have pygmy cories in the same tank, and untill recently they'd been absolutely fine (lost 2 in the space of 2 weeks).

I have a suspicion that maybe some have died whilst their bodies remain hidden and then the cory may have died from feeding on one of the bodies. Maybe is a disease or bacterial infection or something but never had fish just die on me before.

AC

I had read somewhere that most Micro rasbora were a bit delicate, as a result i nearly stayed away from all of the smaller variaties, I ended with Galaxy rasbora/Celestial pearl danio and have to say they are really active, healthy had them 6 months and there all fine BUT i have noticed they are the first to react to high co2 levels, fortunatly mine are in a tank with pretty pants lighting so i don't run the co2 to the max, Even a 30ppm they do show some signs just under and there fine?? Good luck

I have over a dozen Rasbora maculata and find them very hardy, certainly no deaths or diseases in the time I have had them, probably a year now.

My Galaxy rasbora/Celestial pearl danio have been fairly hardy.
They are the last to react to high CO2 as well!

Ancistrus was first.
Then SAE.
Then pygmy corydoras.

Then danios, killifish and tetras all equally.

I think I maybe just got a weak batch or they had been stressed too long in a plantless tank when I bought them. The shop manager did say they were reduced because noone had bought any in the 3 months they had been there!!!

As per above post. they don't react to the CO2 much at all. The Corys will go to the surface more often than usual first and then the rasboras a long while later.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
I think I maybe just got a weak batch or they had been stressed too long in a plantless tank when I bought them. The shop manager did say they were reduced because noone had bought any in the 3 months they had been there!!!

As per above post. they don't react to the CO2 much at all. The Corys will go to the surface more often than usual first and then the rasboras a long while later.

AC
Very odd maybe my fish have hatched an evil plan to make me look stupid, its a conspiracy i tell you!!

Back