• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

microsorum growing new leaves question

Mark Evans

Expert
my microsorum is growing new leaves of the old ones. what do i do? leave it? i thought they grew from the rhizome? i know the black dots are for reproduction, but this looks unsightly, like little spiders.

c'mon supercoley, what do i do? thought i'd just add....if you say cut the leaf off, i cant because most of the leaves on the rhizome are doing the same thing.

5f8396b9.jpg

ahh, ive just researched it. i can cut the new plant off the leaf. blimey, theres loads :wideyed:

thanks thomas

You already guessed what I would say in a way. lol

I can confirm that if you see new growth on leaves then the old leaf is more than likely dying. Happens a lot when first introduced. I get no plantlets at all on mine these days!!!

Therefore yes you guessed it cut em all off BUT wait until new leaves come from the Rhizome so that it regenerates quicker and then cut the blackened ones away.

Your pic clearly shows this in that the original leaf is going black and will go holey along the edges (a bit like lace plant but black/brown)

If you want to keep the plantlets then just position your fingers around the leaf below the plantlet and gently slide your (very loose) grip upwards. No pulling, no tugging, the plantlet will just come away easily.

The ones you saw in my tank are virtually all growth that started new after putting it in the tank (both originally and when I rescaped) where the old growth died away and the new growth came through nice and fresh.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
You already guessed what I would say in a way. lol

I can confirm that if you see new growth on leaves then the old leaf is more than likely dying. Happens a lot when first introduced. I get no plantlets at all on mine these days!!!

Therefore yes you guessed it cut em all off BUT wait until new leaves come from the Rhizome so that it regenerates quicker and then cut the blackened ones away.

Your pic clearly shows this in that the original leaf is going black and will go holey along the edges (a bit like lace plant but black/brown)

If you want to keep the plantlets then just position your fingers around the leaf below the plantlet and gently slide your (very loose) grip upwards. No pulling, no tugging, the plantlet will just come away easily.

The ones you saw in my tank are virtually all growth that started new after putting it in the tank (both originally and when I rescaped) where the old growth died away and the new growth came through nice and fresh.

AC

you da man! thanks mate.

You'll get much better growth if you ditch the plantlets, more often than not they become very unsightly.
I was always told and I've found that the best way of getting a healthy plant is to cut them off, the plant then puts all it's energy into growing from the rhizome rather than in growing the new plantlets, eventually the plant will "learn" or become healthy and stop producing plantlets.

Back