• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microsorum pteropus "Philippine and 'Windelov'

John Starkey

Hi All, :?: Roughly how long do the roots take to attach them selfs to wood and rocks,regards john

Windelov isn't much longer than standard JF IME (4 weeks or so). I've found Phillipine to take a little longer and not to grow as quick, but that may be partly down to my soft water which this form doesn't like apparently.

Hi Ed,thanks very much i just wanted a rough idea how long to leave the cable ties on for,regards john

I trimmed my Phillipine down to about 6 leaves last September and then re-banded it to the wood. It attached 4 weeks later.

Don't know about it being slow growing though!!! Looks like one of Farmer George's now!!!! the leaf tips are going dry because they are too tall for the tank.

Andy

Hey guys. I've been doing some research about the Windelov plant as I have some in my tank. There are sites saying that this plant will only grow with low nutrient concentration and in a low lit area of the tank.

Does this mean the plant is completely saturated with light with a low WPG??
Therefore does this mean that the plant will only take small amount of nutrients from the water column??

Also another query I have is if the windelov has a higher concentration of nutrients than what it is used to will it cause it to do start to decompose??

Thanks for any help

SunnyP said:
Hey guys. I've been doing some research about the Windelov plant as I have some in my tank. There are sites saying that this plant will only grow with low nutrient concentration and in a low lit area of the tank.

That's an absurd contention. This is like saying that there are people who only grow by being starved. All aquatic plants can survive in a nutrient poor and low light environment. Ferns are adapted to environments such as this, however we must not then extrapolate this to mean that they necessarily prefer this type of environment. In a high light high nutrient environment the fern will grow 5X-10X faster than they would grow in a low light, low nutrient environment. This is a fundamental principle of life on Earth.

Cheers,

I have also been to Maidenhead Aquatics and a chap there thinks that the Windelov will only grow in poor conditions and conditions are too rich then the Windelov will start to decompose. He showed me in the book about conditions needed. He had the wrong end of the stick because the book did not mention the ideal condtions but the minimum condition for plant growth.

I'd thought I better make sure, as I am a beginner to this hobby, by posting on this forum about it.

Anyhoo.. At least I know I'm on the right tracks.

Cheers Ceg.

Its a common misconception mainly because some people go straight for high light with no experience. They then have trouble getting a balance between CO2, nutrient dosing and circulation which then causes the problems because the 'low light' plants will be the first to get algaefied under high light.

I don't believe in low light or high light plants. I only beleive that high light is required to get a desired growth from certain plants. i.e. to make a red plant really red or to get a smaller plant to carpet nice and low.

They will all grow under low light or high light, just differently in that a 'carpet plant' will grow taller and 'low light' plants will grow faster.

Andy

My needle and phillipine have the same results as stems under 'low' light. they are from Aquatic Magic though

Back