• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microsorum pteropus

dougbraz

Hi - any thoughts in what could be happening here (pics)? pH 5.5-6, no ammonia or nitrites, temp about 24-25degrees C. No CO2 save for Seachem Excel. 30 gallon tank, 60 days in. 7-8 gallons changed every week (or less).One angelfish only. Canister filtration. Lighting for 8hours per day which includes the first and last being dimming. No fertlization added. ADA Amazon substrate.
d31bedfcf3feafb6f4c050b638334ece.jpg

31dbbdc1955fa32897fae935cad6a38b.jpg

892b22152a175174ea8126bb0eaa085e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @dougbraz

Is your Java Fern planted in the substrate? If that's the case, then that may be the problem. Java Ferns are epiphytic plants and should be attached to wood or rocks. This can be done with cotton thread or similar.

JPC

Off the photo looks sickly could be you left dying leaves on? Is your lighting too strong as its a low light slowish grower. Probably start liquid fertiliser as ferns feed from water column .

Off the photo looks sickly could be you left dying leaves on? Is your lighting too strong as its a low light slowish grower. Probably start liquid fertiliser as ferns feed from water column .

Wouldn’t say the lighting is too strong - it’s maxed for a few hours only at 60% and its full power it 32w LED.

Hi all,
It looks like drying damage. This can be where the leaves have actually become dry, or it could be /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/anubias-leafs-dying.63069/#post-622388']where fertiliser[/URL]"> (or undiluted Excel) has dripped on them.

They don't do well in very soft water, I've found that /www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/which-species-of-microsorum-pteropus-for-the-bushy-look-in-a-small-tank.62417/#post-615711']Bolbitis heudelotii does better in soft water[/URL]">.

I'd definitely take those off now, they aren't benefiting the plant.

cheers Darrel

Noted about soft water. Thanks.
If I take out all the leaves that look like the pic, I ‘might’ only have one leaf left . Maybe just not the right plant for the conditions in my tank.
How would the leaves become dry?
Cheers
Doug

They don't do well in very soft water, I've found that <"Bolbitis heudelotii does better in soft water">.

I'd definitely take those off now, they aren't benefiting the plant.

cheers Darrel
Darrel – just an afterthought here: the Brazilian site (I live in Brazil btw )that sells the best selection of aquarium plants states that Microsorum Pteropus Windelov is ambivalent about hard or soft water and non-light demanding. Interesting, no? By no means am I saying you are wrong – I take the opinions of experienced aquarium owners quite seriously as they have experienced the problem and are not just pushing for a sale.
Microsorium Pteropus Windelov
pH: 5,0-9,0
T°C:18-28°C
Dureza da água: Baixa/Média (water hardness: low/medium)
Luz: Baixa exigência
and even Tropica rates it as 'A hardy and easy plant for both beginners and the more experienced.'

Having said all that, I saw that you can basically cut it right down essentially just the rhizome and it will grow back, albeit slowly, especially in a non-CO2 low-tech tank - but will also give your Bolbitis option a try. Your comments are much appreciated!
Gonna cut it back and see what happens..

Hi all,
How would the leaves become dry?
Either during large volume water changes (if the lights are on and the leaves are exposed?) or during planting?, or even before the plants came to you? Java Fern is <"prone to this sort of damage">. Have a look at <"Java Fern Petite......."> and <(Microsorum pteropus SP. 'trident'......)>.

You get a similar effect with a sterilant (like glutaraldehyde) or with a strong salts solution, like an undiluted fertiliser, the leaf loses water more quickly than it can be replaced and cell death occurs.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
It looks like drying damage. This can be where the leaves have actually become dry, or it could be <"where fertiliser"> (or undiluted Excel) has dripped on them.

cheers Darrel
yes..maybe...just maybe undiluted Excel was dripped exactly over the black one - didn't know that could happen. Oh well, living and learning - and a heckuva lot of suffering in the middle :bookworm::oops::)

Hi all,
Microsorum Pteropus Windelov is ambivalent about hard or soft water and non-light demanding. Interesting, no? By no means am I saying you are wrong
I've had a <"lot of plants not do very well for me">, but all my tanks are similar. Java Fern is often quoted as a good hardy "beginners plant", and it is on the <"Tropica "Easy" list"> so they may have a point. I've failed to kill it entirely over (at least) <"the last 15 years">, so it must be pretty tenacious of life.

I'm not sure I have any "Windelov" left in the tanks, but I still have some in a bottle garden and I don't think it is any more difficult to grow than the species.

Other forum members, who grow a much wider range of plants, to a much higher standard, have found that Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus), and particularly some of the cultivars, <"are less bomb proof than they had believed">.

cheers Darrel

They don't do well in very soft water...
Hi @dw1305

I'm growing Java Ferns in water with alkalinity/carbonate hardness of 2dKH and general hardness of 6.5dGH, which would normally be defined as 'soft' water. OK, this strictly falls outside the band considered 'very soft' (0 - 4dGH) but it's pretty close. These plants are looking very good.

JPC

P.S. I have the Philippine variety which, perhaps, is more forgiving.

Last edited:
I have cut off the offending dark or spotted leaves and will monitor - taking care not to pour any neat excel or anything else right on to them!
Thanks for all the pointers. We beginners appreciate the info.
Cheers
Doug

Back