• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microssorum Pteropus (Java Fern)

i've found that removing these leaves with small plantletts on encourages the best growth. i'm thinking these old leaves are emmersed leaves? the new ones are different in shape and colour. my microsorums have taken on a whole new look :D it's quite beautiful now

saintly said:
i've found that removing these leaves with small plantletts on encourages the best growth. i'm thinking these old leaves are emmersed leaves? the new ones are different in shape and colour. my microsorums have taken on a whole new look :D it's quite beautiful now
They could be emmersed leaves as they're fairly new and they're not the usual shape.
So is it best to remove them from the leaf asap? I'll take photos tomorrow as it looks rather strange as I've never seen this rate of new plants from this plant before.

Photos of all the new plantlets...

20090120001.jpg

As you can see the new plants at all over the older leaves!
20090120003.jpg

It's easier to tie a bare rhizome to wood etc. than one covered in leaves, I think that's the main reason people do it.

I think I remember reading Amano saying that he recommends removing all the leaves except the youngest ones (the ones that still have transparent tips), but I can't provide a link to the reference.

I think the plants will be fine either way!

Mark

Superman said:
Next question in the Superman vs Java Fern series....

How do people create the bunched effect of a java fern?
I've got a few rhizomes with a few large leaves on them but want to create a dense bunch.
Any help would be appreciated.

plant them close together, as possible.

Or seperate them by a few cm and they will soon grow in.

Back