• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Midori no mori (until I can think of a proper name)

James D

I fancied trying something different this time so out went the rocks and aquasoil and in came some wood and sand. I was planning on planting exclusively onto the wood with nothing in the substrate but I might add a bit of Blyxa to break up the transition between the sand and wood.

I spent most of last night glueing moss to the wood and filled it up with water, I'm fairly pleased with the results but I was too knackered to bother taking any photos, I'll try and finish off my planting tonight and get some pictures taken.

In the meantime here's a quick phone pic I took before I started, sorry about the quality........

image.jpg

Tank: ADA60P
Filter: Eheim 350 Experience
CO2: FE via TMC Aquagro 2909 Diffuser
Lights: Grobeam 600 & Pro Z series LED
Hardscape: Wood (don't know what it is!), Unipac Maui Sand (12.5kg), LLangollen Slate
Plants: Microsorum (narrow?), various mosses (Flame, Fissidens, Spiky, Weeping, Christmas), Blyxa Japonica
Fauna: 2 Otos, 4 Amanos, Rosy Tetras, Green Tetras

Cheers

James

Last edited:
that's some nice wood mate also think ill look great with bylxa breaking it up love that plant meant to be very co2 demanding if I remember correctly best of luck and keep us posted, what specs filter etc ?

thanks dean

Cheers Lee. :)

Martin: My light is suspended from the ceiling and it was pulled back towards the wall to allow access to the tank, I've only got one bar switched on as well.... under normal circumstances it's not that shady.

I wish I'd taken a photo when I'd finished attaching the moss, it looked great...... until I flooded it, it's all looking a bit scruffy now.

I've just read a similar question in another journal but I don't want to sidetrack Mikka's thread - Is there any reason why I can't add my livestock back in immediately?

My filter is mature, my plants have just been moved from my old tank (apart from a bit of new moss), my substrate is inert and my wood was soaked for weeks.

I've just read a similar question in another journal but I don't want to sidetrack Mikka's thread - Is there any reason why I can't add my livestock back in immediately?

My filter is mature, my plants have just been moved from my old tank (apart from a bit of new moss), my substrate is inert and my wood was soaked for weeks.
Nope

Great wood, great hardscape. Watching with interest how it develop. Just one thought: just don't overgrown it. That wood is so dramatic, it would be a pity to bury it under the layers of plant mass :)
Maybe you even can avoid blyxa there, you can use some light green moss (attached to small pebbles or fragments of wood) to smooth transition to sand, but I'm sure you already have some plans :)

Dan: I thought so cheers, I'll put them in tonight and I'm finished!

Thanks for the advice Alexander, I totally agree. If I can get it looking as nice as your tank I'll be very happy. As you know the Blyxa is very easy to move about in the sand so I'll eventually get it arranged as I like, there are only a few of them in there anyway. I've already done what you suggest with the moss stones, I had them in my last set up and had to trim them all right down to get the moss for my wood so they look a bit threadbare at the moment.

I've just got temporary equipment in there for now (green eheim pipes, in-tank heater etc) but I'll get all my proper stuff installed again tonight and try and get some photos.

Here we go......

http://s28.postimg.org/jzqtg0w2l/72new_setup3.jpg

http://s15.postimg.org/lof5n23rf/72new_setup2.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/7uxgkmv97/72new_setup1.jpg

I left the CO2 on so there are plenty of bubbles spoiling the pics a bit, I'm quite happy with them though, it's the first time I've really fiddled about with the EOS400D. When the tanks settled down and grown in a bit I'll try again with a tripod.

I've got to say I love having white sand, it makes the tank seem much lighter and cleaner than my previous hairgrass carpets with aquasoil - I doubt I'll go back!

Cheers.[DOUBLEPOST=1397721592][/DOUBLEPOST]BTW I think I'll remove some some if not all of the Blyxa, I'll have a look at it for a few days and decide.

Wow, that looks really great. Your right about the sand, gives it a lovely crisp look. You must be really pleased with the result.

Cheers Teapot. To be honest I did very little except selecting the right piece of wood. It's literally a flat layer of sand with the wood (slightly sawn and reassembled with glue) plonked on top, it took more time taking my old set up down :lol:. Hopefully it'll be low maintainence as well, apart form keeping that sand clean.

Now that's sexy :hungry:

Now you need little fish.....

Now you need little fish.....
:lol: Always with the fish!

I'm going to get some more at the weekend, I'll be doubling my Rosy Tetra group if they've got any left, they look really nice in there.

Here you go Martin:

new_setup1.jpg

new_setup2.jpg

They look a bit crappy at a bigger size though.

I just can't help myself :D

The Rosys will look great swimming in, out & through that wood setup

Mr teapot beat me to it WOW :eek: looks excellent and I totally agree about the sand I was going to ask what sand you used but does look so much more light and bigger I think but well done mate looking great, whats you dosing regime and maintenance and also BPS ?

cheers mate

Back