• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mike's 1st Journal

MikeC

Hello everyone, This is my first journal and first serious attempt at a planted tank so your comments and advice will be much appreciated.

Before i start i would like to say thankyou to ceg4048 for answering all of my messages, Ed for the clear pipe and advice when i made my reactor and everybody else on the forum from which i have learnt so much during many hours of reading.

Tank - Juwel Rio 240 - 121 x 41 x 55
Lighting - Standard 2 x 54w t5 on 8hrs per day
Filtration - 2 x Tetratec EX1200 removed bioballs and some sponge replaced with siporax
Heater - Hydor 300w external heater
CO2 - 6.5kg pub bottle
wave regulator with solenoid
diy reactor (ED's design)
JBL drop checker
Fertiliser - EI method
Substrate - Tropica plant substrate topped with akadama
Hardscape -
3 pieces of Bogwood from existing tanks and 1 piece from durtydurty in forsale section.
Maintenance - 50-60% once a week.

Flora
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne parva
Cryptocoryne wendtii green
Cryptocoryne wendtii tropica
Cryptocoryne wendtii mi oya
Echinodorus tenellus
Hygrophillia difformis
Pogostemon stellata
Rotala sp green
Rotala rotundifolia
Staurogyne sp

Picture of equipment.
filters.jpg

Some pictures of before and after planting.
front.jpg

frontplant.jpg

end.jpg

endplant.jpg

angle.jpg

angleplant.jpg

I can't think of a name so please feel free to make suggestions

Re: My 1st Journal

That's looking ace Mike! Love the wood. How's the reactor performing? Getting up to 30ppm ok?

Reactor is working great thanks Ed, 3bps and i have a nice yellow drop checker and everythink is pearling nicely.

JamesM said:
Great spacious cabinet too :D

A lot of time went into making sure i built the cabinet to incorporate everything except co2 bottle, so i would have easy access for maintenance etc

didn't like the hardscape (the central piece) but with the plants in it looks great. (I have terrible problems envisaging how something will look with the plants :) )

Keep us updated

AC

MikeC said:
JamesM said:
Great spacious cabinet too :D

A lot of time went into making sure i built the cabinet to incorporate everything except co2 bottle, so i would have easy access for maintenance etc
Totally. A lot of people overlook this, so its nice to see real life setups and how people cope with them. There's enough room in there for a couple of 2kg co2 bottles and water change equipment too... my wife would be very happy :lol:

Where is your 6.5kg bottle located, Mike?

JamesM said:
It is other side of wall behind tank in porch/hallway out of harms way, its a tall bottle so with reg fitted and to side of tank i could see top of bottle which ruined view of tank, will take pic tomo.

SuperColey1 said:
didn't like the hardscape (the central piece)

I had hardscape in for about 3 weeks and altered it a few times but couldn't make my mind up and then due to lack of time just left it so has gradually grown on me, planned plants around scape and viewing angles as depending on which chair I sit in, the imppressions are completely different ie. view from angle, front or end of tank.

Well it works with the plants. shows how different hardscapes look bare to when they are surrounded :)

AC

JamesM said:
co2reg.jpg

the co2 pipe and power go through a hole in wall directly into rear of cabinet. Just to left in pic is top of chest freezer for idea of height it stands just under 3ft tall.

If that is your first serious attempt then darn me if I'm not very jealous! Lovely layout and planting!

Back