• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mineral Snake oil?

jameson_uk

In a moment of weakness I think I have bought some snake oil

I picked up some Glasgarten Mineral Junkie
https://www.garnelenhaus.com/glasgarten/mineral-junkie-pearls-50g
As I have historically had issues with my cherry shrimp molting (which I am fairly sure is down to them being in GH 12/13 when I think they were bred in GH 6-8). I know cherries should be ok with this hardness but I have had a string of failed molts with the white ring of death.

I read on a shrimp forum about shrimps getting calcium from food more so than the water so even having a relatively high GH (which I believe is largely calcium) they might not get all the nutrients they need ???

Then I thought these balls are just going to raise GH and make it worse but I emailed the manufacturer who said they won't raise GH/KH but the shrimp will be benefit from the minerals....

Is this snake oil and I actually run the risk of making things worse by adding it?

I think I might try a few in some water and leave it a day or two and see if the GH changes.

If the main things for successful molting are calcium and magnesium and there are meant to help with molting I can't see how they won't raise GH....

Haha it's got Junkie on the packet. :)

TBH it shouldn't hurt. Probably Just Ca/Mg SO4.

Haha it's got Junkie on the packet. :)

TBH it shouldn't hurt. Probably Just Ca/Mg SO4.

But aren't these the very things that will raise GH?

Even if they somehow do not get released into the water column if a shrimp has a hard shell due already might this not make things worse? I guess I don't understand how shrimp take on calcium (and mg) and whether it matters whether it is water column or eaten as food. (Could shrimp be suffering calcium deficiency in high GH water if they don't get any food with calcium in?)

Could shrimp be suffering calcium deficiency in high GH water if they don't get any food with calcium in
It being around in the environment doesn''t neccesarily mean it enters the system, i can see they need it in their food. Being low in the environment can drain it from the system more easily i gather.

Netto weight is 50 gram per pot.. The crude ash is 27% that is 13 gram per pot.

Crude Ash in pet food mainly is Calcium and Phosphorus in a 2 to 1 ratio.. In this case that would be 8.6gr Calcium and 4.3gr Phosphorus.

Take the weight from one tab or do a count, doing a rough estimate from the picture i guess its a 100 tabs. :) resulting in adding 0.086gr calcium per tab.

What's not eaten probably will disolve into the water.. But with a regular water change even if it would be once a month, you probably never notice it.. :)

Back