• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Wookii

The new pump was a fail, Far too powerful for this size. so much so that it was overflowing from where the inlet sits into the sump area. So switched it back out for the original pump.
More plants came, had ordered some Orange Juice. Will see what it looks like in here. So far it is doing well within a few days and showing new growth.
I am contemplating making a lilly type outlet for for this using drinking straws, as they fit onto the outlet pipe.

I have ordered a new one of these tanks, and will keep this one for spares.

Hey Gill,

My Pico tank has finally arrived on the slow boat from China. It's a really nice tiny little tank, and I'll post a thread on it in due course, but the little pump on it is has pitifully low flow.

Did you manage to resolve the low flow on yours? I know you tried that eBay pump, and you reported above that it was too powerful?

Gill

No Worries will be good to see your take on it.
So yes thet clear plastic straw idea worked brilliantly. As it is now forcing the outflow thru a narrower field. and thus creating a more substantial flow rate. I have played about with the angle of the cut on the straw. And found that a larger angle cut gives a faster flow rate and causes the venturi effect to draw oxygen into the water column.
I will take a video of mine so you can see.
I would advise to block the sides of the outlet with moss so that the inhabitants are drawn to the algae growth and get stuck, which one of the bloody mary shrimp did with mine.

Gill

So this has flooded my shelf area x2 that this sits on. Over the last 36 hrs.
The slightest debri in the inlet makes it flood. A leaf had detached from the orange juice and blocke the top slit horizontally.

And the next was that the inlet was gurgling alot.
So cut up a straw and inserted it into the channel. To help the water flow.
And then added a teeny triangle of course sponge and that was enough to cause a blockage and flood last night.

So I am loosing my ragg with this thing.
The older version never had this problem. And had set that up multiple times with different scapes.

If it happens again I will throw it out the window.

So for now I have cut a 3mm strip of course sponge to stop any debris causing it to flood

Wookii

The tank I’ve got has a tube inside the weir tube, so that the weir is both top and bottom draw.

F8CD5CD9-4680-43E7-A63D-EF5D2394B84B.jpeg

It was something I was going to put into place anyway for better circulation, so I was really please when I saw it was already built like that, but adding it to your tank may help if the weir gets blocked?

Last edited:

Gill

Cheers for that.
I am going to remove the weir. And see if that helps.
That way the water will just flow down the triangular section.

Gill

Otherwise it's a new tank for me.
Off for 3 days, so going to take a trip to the world of waters nearby. And also have a look at wharf and bardills