• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini Ecosystem

Marc congrats on your tank how did you fix those lights i know there clip on but you have a rimless and what bulb did you use thanks Alan
I clipped them to some diy stilts behind the tank:
20181224_084714-600x1234.jpg

The bulbs are 4watt led 6500k. (40watt equivalent x2)

Ecosystem upgrade tank all planted. Water is a bit misty due to substrate and tannins from the new wood, but should be all clear in a few days. Really happy with how it all turned out. Exactly how I'd built it for a week in my head :)

View attachment 120184

I’d be happy too, looks really nice. Do you mist the emergent growth or let it fend for itself?

Love how fast the snail appears to move in your build video :crazy:

Hi marc sorry to bother you i liked your lights so much i went and got some
A little bit of help if you would did you use the little globe e14 bulbs and where did you get them
Thank you Alan

Update time guys.

It's been about 21 days and here is how she is sitting.
20190104_185610.jpg

20190104_192521.jpg
I've added different mosses to the wood and some stones in the foreground. Need these to flourish to provide cover for baby shrimp/daphnia.

I still have the filter in and will do for at least another month to make sure the plants are fully thriving.

Looking really nice, can tell the plants are doing well by flicking through the photos and seeing them get greener! Emergant growth seems a good idea as they can use CO2 unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking really nice, can tell the plants are doing well by flicking through the photos and seeing them get greener! Emergant growth seems a good idea as they can use CO2 unlimited.

cheers mate. Yeah, i pulled out some of the swords and replaced with more stems. (hygrophilia polysperma). This is to help with keeping the water perfect and add more detail and green pop.

I cant wait until the plants start exploding out of the tank in the next month.

Forgot to mention, ive added 6 white cloud mountain minnows and 3 panda corys. The white clouds are very interesting to watch. Am currently uploading episode 4 of the tank to youtube. Will post in here later which gives lots of details.

Could you build in some kind of refugium? Section the fish can’t enter but inverts like daphnia could leave?

The idea is really cool, just think it’s tricky to keep a high population of daphnia etc going, fish are so voracious! Daphnia last seconds in my big tank

Could you build in some kind of refugium? Section the fish can’t enter but inverts like daphnia could leave?

The idea is really cool, just think it’s tricky to keep a high population of daphnia etc going, fish are so voracious! Daphnia last seconds in my big tank

good idea. I'll look into it. My discus tank is massively populated and when i water change in there, the glass has tonnes of tiny water fleas on it. If they can survive in there...they can def populate this tank...plus i use the water from the discus tank to top up this one.

Back