• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini project - 8x6x6

Steve Smith

I couldn't resist buying a little 8x6x6 tank today, whilst at the british livebearers association auction. It cost £4.50, and has a glass lid. I've currently got some of my purchases in it temporarily, till I get them homed somewhere more permanent. When that happens I want to have a go at a little nano tank. Substrate is eco complete, got some little bits of hard scape too but not much. Not really sure about lighting as yet...

Any suggestions on the plant front?

Mini woodscape, you could almost do it as a terrarium!
Infact, next time I'm in glovers I'm buying the same size tank and seeing what I can do!

Hehe I've just bought a 24x12x12 from glover. they do very good deal on small tank. I got mine for 24 quid and that comes with 8 quid of goodies. Not that I use those aqua safe water conditioner though. could use with those tetramin

These were the tanks available, for pretty good prices. I think they are sold as betta tanks. Mine is one of the ones stacked on the far left/middle.

DSCF0488Medium.jpg

Heres the guys price list:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r23/Helterskelter1/DSCF0460Medium.jpg

(these aren't my pics, but someone else who was at the BLA auction yesterday).

Am I missing something re Betta's? Just because they will survive in a jar does it make it right to encourage people to keep them in such small tanks?

Sorry - hijacked your thread...

bugs said:
Am I missing something re Betta's? Just because they will survive in a jar does it make it right to encourage people to keep them in such small tanks?
I think you'll find that they are show tanks and only used for short term for judging. I could be wrong. I do agree that it is wrong to keep bettas in jars like that and the term "betta tank" IMO is just a universal name for a small tank.

I bought my tank from Brian, a great guy and lives not too far from me. He wont work on anything above 6mm which is a shame. He did a great job on my tank.

Lovely little tank :) I wouldn't dream of keeping a betta in one though but as you say, they are display tanks. Some of the tanks he had on the stand had amazing weirs/trickle filters built in.

Only thing I need to do now is maybe trim the lid so I can fit the filter/lamp base clamp in and have the lid shut properly.

Didn't see you were in Daventry Dan. Hello from Coventry :)

Sometimes they are used to jar bettas from a young age. In one betta spawn you could have 200 fry all of which could potentially be males. Although many people use 2L coke bottles.

Just been playing about. Limited hard scape resources, but I figured its not terrible for a first go:

Endler_nano_new.jpg

Endler_nano_new2.jpg

Plants are: Microsorum pteropus "Needle leaf", micranthemum umbrosum, Taxiphyllum alternans "taiwan moss" and Eleocharis Parvulus

Really well done, any updates, my 2.5's dimensions aren't too different its nice to see a good scape is possible on such a tiny scale.

I broke it down a few weeks back as I moved the fish to the 27 litre (Bearing new fruit scape). I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this, might try to set it up as a mini shrimp tank on my desk at work, or just grow an aubias or something :)

My idea for mine was to have an anubias petite island, I'll draw up a picture but I was thinking some willow moss stones A single landscape rock and a sand foreground and it could all look really nice and minimal.

Decided to set this up again today as a little project. I'll be over dosing dry ferts and small amounts of Excel. Just after comments on the layout. I'm not really going for an iwagumi style setup. What I wanted was for it too look like the large rock has been split by the eleocharis growing through it. Like a hill side with weathered rocks on it if that makes sense :)

Can't wait for it to start to grow out and thicken up... Lighting/filtration is the same (13w compact, Azoo mignon 240 HOB), substrate still Eco-Complete.

Day_01_April_2008.jpg

That my dear friend is one hell of a scape, so powerful! you want some super small hairgrass in there, maybe the new japonica one that aquaspot has?

Luketendo said:
Hey how big is your filter? I'm thinking of getting one.

Its 240 lph :) Or did you mean dimensions? If so, its about 5" long by 5" tall by maybe 3" wide.

Garuf said:
That my dear friend is one hell of a scape, so powerful! you want some super small hairgrass in there, maybe the new japonica one that aquaspot has?

I've not seen it, I'll have a look for it tomorrow though thanks :) I was thinking about trying some UG but untill I got hold of some I used the eleocharis, as I still have lots floating in a container in the garden :)

Back