• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini S Walstad

darthpaul

So for a while now I have wanted a small tank on my desk, I already have a high tech setup shrimp tank and a 70L tank that is EI dosed and tended to. I have been reading a lot about Walstad bowls and was really interested in how they work so decided to setup one myself. Although I strayed from buying a bowl when the opportunity to by a Do!aqua tank came along :)

So I sorted my desk and found space for the tank and LED light I got from Ikea
null_zps5088f7f3.jpg

A good friend of mine had some redmoor wood that in turns out fitted perfectly!
null_zpsb59feb14.jpg

Added 0.75 inch of John Innes No 3 and 0.75 inch of silver sand
null_zps04e7a3e0.jpg

After some thinking the plants I decided on were Crypt Parva around the wood, Sagittaria sabulata for the mid space and Heteranthera Zosterifolia for the back. I bought in vitro plants from Aqua Essentials. I also grabbed some flame moss from my shrimp tank to tie onto the wood and bought red root floater from ebay for the surface.
DSCF3547_zps7e0b3df7.jpg

That is as far as I have got, I am currently turning the light on and off myself, probably should get a timer. Will be adding some blue ramshorn snails very soon and then later hopefully some cherry shrimp.

Thats an awesome piece of wood! Good choice with the planting; simplicity will work well in this sort of setup.

Stick some cling film on top. They'll make good food for any future inhabitants.

I can only think of introducing a couple of guppies to eat them and then bring them back to the pet store or just removing the water and just pick them out really. Probably try the latter first and if you're really not keen then the first option.

Henry, I don't think its wise to keep them in because I think the op wants shrimps in there.

Awesome! Wish I had that much free live food in my tanks. These are excellent for getting fish into breeding condition.

Following this journal with interest as I will be doing something similar soon on my bookshelf.

For some reason my wife has asked me to remove the mosquito larvae farm I made in the garden :rolleyes:

Hi all,

I went and got some from the allotment water butts this morning, they are a great free food.

cheers Darrel

Are there any health risk for human and fish from culturing mosquito larvae? Even though they will no doubt snack on 'em in the wild.

Latest update pic, now have some cherry shrimp in and some simoni shrimp. Cherry babies appeared yesterday :D 4 counted so far. Star plant has got leggy so think the light isnt bright enough. Thinking about changing that, maybe try crypts again as they all melted in the beginning.

null_zps405a0c3c.jpg

Baby shrimp
null_zps88a78f8b.jpg

Back