• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Miniature fern

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
I've seen this little fern growing in the masonry of walls in my local area. I think it's Asplenium ruta-muraria, wall-rue.
I couldn't believe my luck when I noticed it growing in my garden wall as well.

IMG_6883.jpeg

Obviously the first thing I thought was would it do okay growing on emersed hardscape, and discovered that Yusuke Homma had beaten me to it.
Apparently, it's in there somewhere.

nature_in_the_glass_aj311_01.jpg

They are really nice ferns... :) But also very sensitive. A few years back I bought 4 small ones in a pot from a nursery. They looked pretty healthy and strong but still, all died after taking them from the pot and replanting. No idea why, but they didn't like it.

Edit: I looked it back up it was a different one 'Asplenium trichomanes'. It can be found in similar spots on rocks and walls

Just found this little beauty also growing in my wall. I think it's Asplenium ceterach or rustyback fern. I never really paid it close attention before since I thought it was more wall-rue. But for some reason it caught my eye today and I've put a piece in my dry start scape along with some wall-rue.

Both should do okay, they can tolerate full sun well, and I'm hoping the water out of the tap, which is hard, will also help provide the right growing conditions.

IMG_7818.jpeg

Just found this little beauty also growing in my wall. I think it's Asplenium ceterach or rustyback fern. I never really paid it close attention before since I thought it was more wall-rue. But for some reason it caught my eye today and I've put a piece in my dry start scape along with some wall-rue.

Both should do okay, they can tolerate full sun well, and I'm hoping the water out of the tap, which is hard, will also help provide the right growing conditions.

View attachment 209069
😎awesome

Hi all,
But for some reason it caught my eye today and I've put a piece in my dry start scape along with some wall-rue.
How are they getting along? I'm going to guess it will be too damp for them long term, but I have no idea how long is "long term".

I get a lot of <"fern prothalli"> grow in the carnivorous plants etc., but they would all be too big long term.
Brittle Bladder Fern (Cystopteris fragilis) <"Brittle Bladderfern (Cystopteris fragilis)"> would do, it likes damp and lime, but I've never seen it for sale.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,

How are they getting along? I'm going to guess it will be too damp for them long term, but I have no idea how long is "long term".

I get a lot of <"fern prothalli"> grow in the carnivorous plants etc., but they would all be too big long term.
Brittle Bladder Fern (Cystopteris fragilis) <"Brittle Bladderfern (Cystopteris fragilis)"> would do, it likes damp and lime, but I've never seen it for sale.

cheers Darrel

I think you’re right Darrel I’ve put them back in the wall where they belong. But they seemed to do okay. The scape is still being maintained dry start. But once flooded I think they will probably have struggled. I intend to fill the space with Bolbitis defformis, which I think will do well semi emersed.

Back