• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Minimizing flow with an external filter

OllieTY

Hi All,

Im about to set up a 100l tank with an external filter ( I can get a very good price on a Fluval 207). The Betta Albimarginata I plan to move into this tank have shown me that they really dislike any water movement at all. I plan to setup the tank as a biotope, and sadly that involves having a sparsely planted tank ( a few crypts and maybe some Buce higher up) with leaf litter and branches so I'd like some room for biological filtration in the canister, hence the 207. I'm just worried about having too much flow from the tank, and wonder if anyone has any strategies for slowing the flow down? Is it as simple as restricting the outflow and maybe having a spraybar facing the glass rather than into the tank? Or should I invest in something like a glass spin pipe?

Or should I try and get a large hang on back for this type of setup instead?

Hi,
There is a flow control on the aquastop valve, this can be lifted to reduce the flow by about 50%. Just don't take it any more than 45 degrees.
You could also put some polishing pads in the filter which will reduce overall flow.

Hi all,
Betta Albimarginata I plan to move into this tank
Lovely, <"they"> (or Betta channoides) are a fish I'd really like to try.
I plan to setup the tank as a biotope, and sadly that involves having a sparsely planted tank (a few crypts and maybe some Buce higher up) with leaf litter and branches
Could you use a floating plant?

cheers Darrel

Thanks guys!

Regarding floating plants, I do have alot of salvinia auriculata in my other tanks, But I'm not sure if it would be biotope accurate!

Just go for the largest outlet possible and your done, I have a FX6 with a DIY spray bar which worked well.
1615892502844.png

For various reasons fitted twin maxspect gyres and just had filer output so it create little flow in tank.

Just used the standard outlet without the jets and generates little flow in tank from FX6
1615893282850.png

Sounds like I shouldn't have any issues then!

I'm toying with the idea of starting a journal thread for the tank, I'll be picking it up in a few weeks so trying to get as many details sorted ahead of time!

Hi all,
But I'm not sure if it would be biotope accurate!
It is found on Borneo, but mainly as an invasive alien. Pistia stratiotes is native to Borneo, and found in <"blackwater habitats in the Amazon etc">.

I'd definitely include Ceratopteris thalictroides, biotope appropriate and perfect for this sort of tank.

cheers Darrel

Back