• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Minimum Shrimp Breeding Population

frothhelmet

How many Shrimp do you need to start out with to ensure that you can maintain a viable breeding population indefinitely?

20 enough?

frothhelmet said:
How many Shrimp do you need to start out with to ensure that you can maintain a viable breeding population indefinitely?

20 enough?

2 - 1 male, 1 female! :p

20 will be fine :thumbup: Sourcing them from a few different places wouldn't do any harm - there's a chance they would have come from the same place/breeder, but there's a chance of it mixing up the gene pool a bit if not.

Healthy population and quick breeding I would start with 15-20 shrimp. But all depends on the species, for example cherries breed like crazy and very easy so you could start those with 10, but CRS are not as easy so about 20 would be the ideal.

My cherries stopped breeding - but my recently introduced CRS have just started........can't figure it out. Got approx 60 adult cherry with 1, maybe 2 pregnant females.

Only got 6 CRS, with 1 already heavily berried after less than 2 months.

Back