• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Missing tetras!

Dankelly124

Seedling
I bought 6 tetras at the weekend and I’m already down to 4! No floating fish, no fish out of water, nothing! I’m so confused as it’s only them and 2 baby bristlenoses. no big fish that would eat them the filters holes are too small to suck them in, could someone explain please, don’t think it’s the water killing them because surely they would’ve all died on the first day and the guy at the shop said neon tetras n bristlenoses would be fine together, any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

I lost 5 of 20 in a tank with only 2 corys and found 1 corpse in the filter... think they get scavenged as Rudedogg says. Mine were really young and tiny by post, wouldn’t do that again, no obvious cause of death. If your water is good quality, (you know its parameters and do water changes) and the tank is cycled, and they’re eating it’s hard to do more

Last edited:
Alright thanks guys, and I haven’t done any water changes yet only got the tank a week ago n the fish 4 days ago, keep thinking I’m gonna wake up n have none left 😂!

haven’t done any water changes yet only got the tank a week ago n the fish 4 days ago,
What @RudeDogg1 said. To give your fish the best possible chance you need to do 50% wc 3 times a week minimum for the next couple of weeks. Test for Ammonia and Nitrite daily and make sure they're down close to zero. By that time your filter should have developed a decent colony of archea and you'll be able to relax a little. Plants help too. Plants are biological filters, so in a heavily planted tank you've got belt and braces.

Cheers,
Simon

You need to start big water changes ASAP. Don't forget to use tapwater conditioner, and bring the new water up to tank temperature or very close.
Opinion is divided on bacteria booster products, but in this case I would try one, - it certainly won't do any harm. If you know any-one local to you with an aquarium, you could cadge a bit of filter medium from them to get your filter started faster.
Lots of fast-growing plants will help.
If you can post more details of your set-up and ideally a photo, you should get a lot more advice.
hth

Back