• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mission Bathtub 2016

Yes i must have transfered some eggs in the plant to the bucket.. The goldfish are showing spawning behaivor for the last 2 weeks now.
Found kinda solution i hope, in a bucket they wouldn's have survived that long.. I placed a sponge in fron of the wine barrels overflow and threw the complete bucket into the wine barrel. Now that's +/- 120 liter planted, they got better chances there.. :) I have now idea how many there are, still so tiny, hard to see. Even almost impossible to find back in the barrel.. :) If some survive it's show within a few weeks..
DSCF7145 (Kopie).JPG

Hi all,I've grown it in a pot for years, it survives some winters here outside but not all of them. I've never grown in anywhere wet though.

cheers Darrel

The info i could find so far, if grown marginal in wet condition it must be taken out of the water if in colder regions to survive the winter. Till now it doesn't do much, not dying also, i guess it's still not sunny enough to take off, it has full sun for the whole summer. Never had it before, no idea how it works out did put it in a basket with akadama, pumice and few hands of clay and peat mix.

Wow! I missed the 3 last pages of these journal and I really love the evolution. It is the kind of "throw-in-what-you-find-out-there" kind of pond I like. Sometimes plants will get established, sometimes they will get not adapted. I think this pond just needs time to find its way. My bet is that at the end of the summer it will be a jungle!

Jordi

Wow! I missed the 3 last pages of these journal and I really love the evolution. It is the kind of "throw-in-what-you-find-out-there" kind of pond I like. Sometimes plants will get established, sometimes they will get not adapted. I think this pond just needs time to find its way. My bet is that at the end of the summer it will be a jungle!

Jordi

Haha, indeed Jordi thank you.. :) This is as low budget as it can get, i spent the most on the wine barrel which was € 50 and a few € on the plants and some substrate for the basket filter hangin in the barrel.. The rest i just still had laying around or found in nature, that old planted zinc bucket i integrated already stands for 15 years in my garden with an about as old generation of Irises in it. Things starting to grow now, the days are getting warmer. The Lobelia, cyperus, muzas, hydrocotyl and nymphoides are taking off now, if the rest is willing to follow it indeed is going to be a nice jungle. But i would need a bit more sun for that.This is also the first year i'm experimenting with putting ferts in the water collum. I'm realy hoping to get the Indian Lotus to flower, the seed is slowly shooting roots now. Water still not warm enough for that, stuck at 18°C average at the time. and the days are still cloudy. The summer is late this year..

May the gods of El niño be with you. :)

Rather need Helios to rock and roll for a few days.. Oh wait, i'm Neanderthaler maybe Germanic origin, seeing all the hairs growing out of my ears i rather suspect the first, dunno, i must pray to Freyr i guess..

Here i few updates about it's progress till now.. Seeing it every day it sometimes looks like not doing much, but comparing earlier pictures it did rather grow a lot. So there actualy nothing to complain about..

It tripled it's size since the setup and getting realy bushy.
DSCF7156 (Kopie).JPG

Diving a bit deeper in there, this is the Hydrocotyle vulgaris
DSCF7152 (Kopie).JPG

The lobelia, had to make some room to see it, tho not worried, i know from previous years this will easyli reach 80 cm height, so by the time it'l flower it will tower above it.
DSCF7153 (Kopie).JPG

There is much more in there still waiting to burst out, also found some Schizostylis coccinea and pontedera which survived from last year slowly comming back. :)

Rotala indica is starting to like it and propagating like mad.
DSCF7162 (Kopie).JPG

The prothalium i showed in a previous pic, which i found in a patch of moss and scratched off from the pavement and now on a emersed rock in the pond, is also growing realy good also some grass seed was in there. This is going to be some fern, but no idea which one.. Might need some help to identify it later..
DSCF7160 (Kopie).JPG

Here i did put some Hydrocotyle tripartita marginal and it's growing also very good.
DSCF7154 (Kopie).JPG

Here a very unclear pic from the Eichornea azurea on the bottom of the barrel, not realy want to take off yet, helios :rage: do your job!. RH side above it is the first tiny leave of the Nelumbo nucifera opening.. That's finaly a very good sign.. :) Once it's open there are definitely more to come. But also needs more and longer sun.
DSCF7163 (Kopie).JPG

As long as it's alive and green there is hope.. So chances are still positive. :)

Hi all,
Rotala indica is starting to like it and propagating like mad.
Very nice.
The prothalium i showed in a previous pic, which i found in a patch of moss and scratched off from the pavement and now on a emersed rock in the pond, is also growing realy good also some grass seed was in there. This is going to be some fern, but no idea which one.. Might need some help to identify it later..
I think it is probably a Liverwort rather than a fern prothallus.

It has gemmae on the thallus and obvious pores, so <"Marchantia polymorpha"> looks a possible ID. The grass looks to be either Dactylis glomerata or Poa "compressa", you may be able to tell which from the <"ligule">.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Very nice.
I think it is probably a Liverwort rather than a fern prothallus.

It has gemmae on the thallus and obvious pores, so <"Marchantia polymorpha"> looks a possible ID. The grass looks to be either Dactylis glomerata or Poa "compressa", you may be able to tell which from the <"ligule">.

cheers Darrel

You mean those Gemmae in cup?? I indeed also noticed them this morning, weren't last week.. I'll be darned, i realy thought (hoped) must be fern because i find a lot of these in the moss all around the ferns i planted which is littered with spores. And sometimes even tiny ferns on the base of the shaded wall next to it.. And always when i take of such a baby fern, it dies on me.. They just do not like to be moved, picky buggers. :shifty: But this indeed looks more like that Marchantia. Thanks for the ID. Well wishfull thinking, i would love to have a fern growing on that rock.. :rolleyes:

you may be able to tell which from the <"ligule">.
Gona check that one out.

But i would need a bit more sun for that.
I have more than I can take here in Spain actually my terrace pond had to be shaded 3 weeks ago to avoid excessive direct sun and the water to reach 30°C... and even though I am struggling with green algae. Actually some plants taken from my tanks are completely shocked and had decided to postpone their development until cooler weather arrives (which is unfortunately late September).

Jordi

Few months ago i did a heavy trim on the bolbitis fern, i actualy noticed that it's leaves stay very long alive after they are trimed off. Got curious how long for real and if they stay alive for so long would it propagate like java fern does? Mr luke posted pics of propagation like this from a mini bolbitis, so why not it's big brother? So tied the whole bunch of leaves together i threw it in the pond.. Today after about 8 weeks i took it out to have a look it's still vibrant and living....
DSCF7166 (Kopie).JPG

But noticed something else, yesterday was a warm day and the goldfish where spawning again.. :) And they did it in the bolbitis. The plant is full of it.. The bolbitis yet doesn't show propagation, funny to find all these goldfish balls in there instead while looking for plantlets..
DSCF7167 (Kopie).JPG

Some more little updates about some experimental things that seem to pay off.. At least chances it will are very real, weather still needs to improve, but if it survived till now it only can get better.. :)

All mosses i did put around in the splash zone seem to like it and even show new growth. There are even some patches growing i didn't plant myself.
DSCF7218 (Kopie).JPG

Here is some Monte Carlo i wraped up in some cocofiber and sphagnum and put it in a hole between the rocks at the waterfalls edge.
It lives already for weeks and even showing some new growth. The moss behind it on the rock attached on it own there.
DSCF7211 (Kopie).JPG

Under the plant note those black elongated objects on the rock. That is some kind of mosquito larvae, remarkebly they attach themself firmly to the rock in the stream. They even like to group together.. No idea what insect they are from.. Here they are schooling by the numbers beneath the flat rock. Next to it is some fontanilis and unknown moss in the stream.
DSCF7214 (Kopie).JPG

Did put some peat/clay/sand mix as mortar between the rocks in the splash zone to plant it up.. Here are 2 sp of hydrocotyle together, the native vulgaris and the tripartita to which one will root. I see the tripartita doing well, i cut the vulgaris away now..
DSCF7219 (Kopie).JPG

Also the Lysimachia, Ophiopogon and Dryopteris fern seem to like it and grow in a crack with little clay substrate. The Lysimachia grew into the water, so it will feed enough from there and probably soak the soil wet as well, at least till now i had no need to water it.
DSCF7220 (Kopie).JPG

A bit deeper into the filter basket the Mazus is creeping around and slowly flowering.. They are small but beautifull..
DSCF7223 (Kopie).JPG

Also threw in some java fern weeks ago, actualy haven't seen it for weeks and this mrning it floated at the surface still looking vibrant.
I definitely will put some more in, still have a piece of driftwood packet with java's in the propagator tank throw this one in there and see what it will do during the summer getting daylight.
DSCF7224 (Kopie).JPG

:)

Last edited:
JF in summer will do great. In winter (In Sydney we get around 4 C minimum) I find it dies. :(

I have the filter outlet as shown above spraying over a bed of river pebbles where it streams down to another outlet to the filter bucket. Now that larvae i mentioned above, i found a large lump of them attaching to a stone right under the filter outlet constantly in the streaming water. I still have no clue what fly this is from. Maybe somebody of you know.. :)

DSCF7233 (Kopie).JPG

Anyway i tried it on the fish and they love it.. So i threw the whole stone into the tank and we had a little party.. :) 15 minutes and all was gone.

Nice fish! Forgot the name of those barb like fish.
Thank you Alexander.. Thats the Oreichthys cosuatis also known as Indian High fin barb, tho it's latin name says simply Goldfish from Koswati (Koshi) river in India.
Indeed lovely fish and bring rather some excitement to the tank as you can see, intimidating and chasing eachother is their hobby. :)

Back