• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2017

The glas is in, to see if it fits without any stress.. And it fits perfectly..
DSCF8478.jpg

Now it's sealing and kitting the darn thing and let it cure.... The barrel on top already contains a culture of Daphnia, when it rains, the barrel will overflow in the tank and the tank again via the gutter into the bathtub.. So nothing goes to waste. :) Maybe next year, or who knows another tank same size next to it on the left hand side of the wall. Connected with a pipe bridge, like the one laying in the tub. But for the comming weeks i'm of the street trying to get this garden aquarium scape first setup and running.

Just wondering..............

The "tank" with glass, what is the bottom and sides made from?

what is the bottom and sides made from?
Epoxy treated concrete multiplex.. :) Gets an extra epoxy seal. I've seen ponds and huge tanks build from this material, some failed some succeeded for over 10 years. Only thing i did different to save some work, what i yet not have seen is the glass in routed slids. I guess on such a small size it'll do.. :) Fingers crossed, it's just an experiment, there for in the garden..

Nice bathtub Marcel! Very resourceful!

Thanks Pietert.. :) See that one small green leaf popping from the water surface in front of the basket in the wine barrel? That's your water poppy..
It seems to like it in there..

All is done so far, but.. Me SillyConehead i'm far from happy with my kit job.. :nailbiting::( I see some points of consern and i have no idea what to expect.
Well point of no return. Hope for the best prepare for the worst.. The DIY quote we all live to i guess.. :) Kitting is a tiddy job, if you don't do it regularly it's rather messy then nice.. It's not like learning to ride a bicycle that i can tell.. :rolleyes: The thing is, once you start you have 12 minutes to clear the job. Any moment of panic how little it is, is a waist of time towards dissaster..

DSCF8483.jpg

Have to wait a few days in anxiety, to find out if it doesn't spil water. Frustrating to find patience in something you do not surely trust.. Than at least 7 days for epoxy to be food grade cured, so i can build it in the flow system, wait a week longer... Than i'm good to go.. Fingers crossed, it might just look worse than it is..

If it does leak, i have no idea if it is fixeable, only thing to do is try.. But it's going to be a hell of a mess to fix it if it aint waterproof. Than i have to cut out all the kit hoping not to damage any epoxy and kit it again, maybe even a new epoxy layer.

Kit has cured for the recomended 24 hours and the epoxy is in for 5 days.. So just lets rock and roll, i want to know.. And filled it up..
DSCF8489.jpg

And actualy with water in it the kit is showing much more detail than it is dry.. For now it is water proof..

This is the spot i was worry about, the gap is only 0.3mm and the corner where it looked like i missed a spot.. But now the water is in and contrasts the kit a lot more it seems to have enough body to hold.. Since the glass sinks a few milimeter into the slid, it has some more down there..
DSCF8490.jpg

I guess it's a mater of time, maybe weeks to find out.. It is after all water protective glued multiplex.. So if there is any water contact with the wood it'll take time to swell and show over time. For now it seems to be ok, not minding the easthetics ofcourse. :)

Kit has cured for the recomended 24 hours and the epoxy is in for 5 days.. So just lets rock and roll, i want to know.. And filled it up..
View attachment 104682
And actualy with water in it the kit is showing much more detail than it is dry.. For now it is water proof..

This is the spot i was worry about, the gap is only 0.3mm and the corner where it looked like i missed a spot.. But now the water is in and contrasts the kit a lot more it seems to have enough body to hold.. Since the glass sinks a few milimeter into the slid, it has some more down there..
View attachment 104683

I guess it's a mater of time, maybe weeks to find out.. It is after all water protective glued multiplex.. So if there is any water contact with the wood it'll take time to swell and show over time. For now it seems to be ok, not minding the easthetics ofcourse. :)
Nice one zozo.what you putting inside the tank. Fish or shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Just bought 3x dutch bull rushes. Photo of one bunch
Look like bamboo.

Also this plant. Don t suplose you know what they call it mate. I aint got a clue. Someone gave me it. And they don t know name.
Appreciate your help mate.
1076548ade451ac9655589a0f1006cff.jpg
80c9d78c387c418284b7b68a71246dd3.jpg

Nice one zozo..
Thanks Fred, for a first timer it's ok.. :) If it leaks, no man overboard, i'll drain it put a glass panel on top and use it as plant propagator and start anew. :)

what you putting inside the tank. Fish or shrimp
That's a good question.. Plants in the first place, still have some wood with Java ferns and mosses in the cellar.. Nice to see how that does in there with daylight. Also still have some unidentified Nymphoides indoor. So these also, to get them to flower and to know what it is, finaly. For plants it will do ok maybe very good since it is a rather sunny spot. Regarding fish i was thinking about Sticklebacks, but than i have to monitor the temperature very closely.. As said sunny spot, glass panels, i suspect this could get pretty warm. I have no idea if the water from the tub will cool this tank or if this tank will heat the tub. Shrimp could be an option too, have sherries enough indoors.

Just bought 3x dutch bull rushes. Photo of one bunch
Look like bamboo.

Also this plant. Don t suplose you know what they call it mate. I aint got a clue. Someone gave me it. And they don t know name.
Appreciate your help mate.

Dutch Bull rush would be just Dutch Rush :) Equisetum hyemale
Bullrush "Thypa" (latifolia) is also very nice, i've had the small version (angustifolia) of it, but it is a rather dificult little plant.. It needs a very rich muddy soil, i never realy got it going realy good on gravels etc.

The second picture looks kinda familiar, have seen it before but unfortunately don't recollect it's name.. It might come back later.. But i bet someone beats me to it. :)

Edit:
Ah! Got it i think.. Darmera peltata.. :)
darmera-peltata-001.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! No leaks! A few tips I got from my glass supplier; use tape to get the edge of the silicone straight, and a piece of pvc electric pipe (the yellow one, you know, excuse me my english is a bit rusty:lol:) cut at an angle and dipped in some soap to smooth the kit out. You will get nice even silicone. Another benefit of taping is that you can work faster.

But hopefully you don't have to kit again. It's always a messy job. Been there, done that.

I can tell you a secret.. :) I did use tape, the paper masking tape.. But i did one thing wrong.. I taped it the day before.. :( Than the the glue on the tape dries to much the night over, it seems and than you need to peal it of with a knife.. Doing this with slippery kit fingers is a double mess. So after i finaly had the crappy tape off i messed up the kit again at some spots. Than i needed to fix this without the tape. All this in a world record speed..
aeb15f4f5de3ba696904da8165f50f2dbce.gif

The result?? Well the picture says more than 1000 words.. :banghead:

So lesson learned again, preperation is a pre.. But never do it pre to soon. I'll kit again.. :) This is not my last stuppid idea, have a few more up my sleeve i must try one day.. But it is hardly a practice with all the time in between everytime.

Never mind your rusty english.. My Dunglish isn't much beter.. And i get what you mean.. :thumbup:
Thanks for the pvc tube tip..

Thanks Fred, for a first timer it's ok.. :) If it leaks, no man overboard, i'll drain it put a glass panel on top and use it as plant propagator and start anew. :)

That's a good question.. Plants in the first place, still have some wood with Java ferns and mosses in the cellar.. Nice to see how that does in there with daylight. Also still have some unidentified Nymphoides indoor. So these also, to get them to flower and to know what it is, finaly. For plants it will do ok maybe very good since it is a rather sunny spot. Regarding fish i was thinking about Sticklebacks, but than i have to monitor the temperature very closely.. As said sunny spot, glass panels, i suspect this could get pretty warm. I have no idea if the water from the tub will cool this tank or if this tank will heat the tub. Shrimp could be an option too, have sherries enough indoors.

Dutch Bull rush would be just Dutch Rush :) Equisetum hyemale
Bullrush "Thypa" (latifolia) is also very nice, i've had the small version (angustifolia) of it, but it is a rather dificult little plant.. It needs a very rich muddy soil, i never realy got it going realy good on gravels etc.

The second picture looks kinda familiar, have seen it before but unfortunately don't recollect it's name.. It might come back later.. But i bet someone beats me to it. :)

Edit:
Ah! Got it i think.. Darmera peltata.. :)
darmera-peltata-001.jpg
That looks like it mate. But it is a
Gunnera mannicata. My mate went into his history to find where he bought it from. Thats its double though. Its a type of rubarb leaf.
Tank is great

Got another one coming. I know there supposed to grow in soil. I am trialling and errors. So to speak. Theres soil in the tub with stones round it to contain soil. See how it goes.
All the best mate. I hope mine grows like that

That's going to be a member of the Gunnera family.

Just be aware one (Gunnera tinctoria) is listed on Schedule 9 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act in England and Wales therefore, it is also an offence to plant or otherwise cause to grow these species in the wild.

Back