• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub 2022 Extended Edition

zozo

Last year it was better late than never, but the winter was rather easy on us this time, fortunately, this year it's a very early start, there was no need to drain the tub and even the fish stayed happily outdoors all winter.
IMG_20220323_163209753.jpg

And the plywood filter box still is doing a great job.
IMG_20220324_111438321.jpg

Best of all most of the plants survived except a few tropicals.

The Cyprus alternifolius made it through the winter without any damage.
IMG_20220323_163238414.jpg

The Milfoil brasilliensis survived as well.
IMG_20220323_163232465.jpg

Potamogeton gayi kept growing all winter long.
IMG_20220323_163309349.jpg

And the Water mint only did shed off the main mother plant but its runner stayed green and growing. Actually, it's a pretty invasive plant taking all over if not kept in check. It's taking over the pot where the Bog fern is in. It smells good but I wouldn't recommend this plant in small ponds it's madness how fast it spreads and competes. We're barely starting and already trimmed 80% away and it's still all over the place.
IMG_20220323_163250458.jpg

Even my little outdoor Wabi Kusa survived ready to roll... It's a piece of DW that grew some moss and I did put some Cyprus seeds in it last year, the Hydrocotyl attached to it on its own devices.
IMG_20220323_163538534.jpg

Also noticed that the Baldellia ranunculoides already is growing some submerged runners with baby plants. Now i'm wondering, is this because its still attached to it's mother via the runners or does it have submerged potential on its'own?
IMG_20220324_112027126.jpg

To find out I plant a few submerged in the little plywood aquarium on the wall... No idea what it will do so for now planted it at the backside. In front of it there is a baby water lily - Nymphaea cearulea not yet really showing. This year I also would like the lovely Bog Arum again, I still have to source it... But that's a plant i really like. As it is the Anubias of the northern hemisphere... :)
IMG_20220324_112901425.jpg

Did the same with that piece of DW that now no longer is Wabi Kusa, elevated the substrate in the LH corner to emerge its Cyprus and see how the Hydrocotyl does that is now submerged.
IMG_20220324_114151010.jpg

At the right, it still has the Woll grass and the Potentilla and a bunch of submerged mosses.
IMG_20220324_134017099.jpg

Tho I have some concerns and notice some cracks developing in the plywood. I have to address this somewhere in the summer and see what I can do to stop it from going worse, but for this, I have to wait for it to get really warm and dry, can't seal it with any moisture still in the cracks. :) The tank is yet not leaking, so still, have plenty of time...
IMG_20220324_111210344.jpg

All in all ready to roll and have some fun!...
IMG_20220324_133856771.jpg

Last edited:
img_20220324_133856771-jpg.185063

I still love that pop-up viewing gallery! The fish love going in there and getting a birds-eye view don't they!

Haha, yes they certainly do... One of the neighbour cats regularly comes for a visit and a drink then it sits on the stairs and drinks from the side the tank is. Sometimes there is no fish in it and the cat comes. It takes less than a minute and the fish come to look who's there. It's fun to observe some fish with their nose at the glass panel staring the cat in the face and the cat staring at them. Yet I never was in time to grab the camera and take a picture of it...

The spring is closing in and slowly warming up... Still had a plastic tub standing around I always used as indoor winter habitat for plants and fish. And thought why not extend the project and give the fish a tad more space.
IMG_20220412_114354766.jpg

This was the plan anyway with a second zinc bathtub, but they are hard to find and I needed a smaller one to fit the space which is even rarer to find. So this year I settle for the less pretty plastic tub instead. I see if I can score a small lily sp and maybe some more pond plants to decorate it.
IMG_20220412_114405342.jpg

Made a water bridge for the fish to travel, and they are definitively curious and checking and sniffing out the new situation. Yet no one got confident enough to venture through but I know once they know they will eventually happily use the passage to travel back and forth.
IMG_20220412_130301679.jpg

While rearranging some stuff I woke this little fellow up and he/she keeps hanging around...
IMG_20220412_114158948.jpg

It seems a bit camera shy
IMG_20220412_114249363.jpg

But doesn't seem to mind me shifting things around at all and is all over the place.
IMG_20220412_114322772.jpg

Plants are visibly coming to life now while the days get warmer.
IMG_20220412_114603003.jpg

And growing inches in a week's time as the bog fern shows.
IMG_20220412_114453140.jpg

Totally forgot about that little baby willow tree I planted in a basket among other bog plants last year. It's showing new leaves that weren't there last week.
IMG_20220412_114500911.jpg

I have to wait a few weeks more till next month for the local pond shop to source some more pond plants. :)

Thanks peep :), for the comments and likes...

Here is another early visitor (maybe ex hibernator merging from the tub) enjoying it as well... :cool:

IMG_20220413_115044325.jpg

It's actually quite funny, I live on top of a hill surrounded by all kinds of waters from bogs to creeks and pools in all wind directions there are frog heavens to be found. Still, they love to migrate uphill then find my tub and stay in it for who knows how long.

Also noticed that the Baldellia ranunculoides already is growing some submerged runners with baby plants. Now i'm wondering, is this because its still attached to it's mother via the runners or does it have submerged potential on its'own?

I removed a pot from the tub that stood a tad deeper, this pot was only supporting smaller pots on top... After removing it I noticed this plant growing in it it was growing there on its own as a single plant.

IMG_20220418_132236514.jpg

Considering the plants in the top pots and the rest in the tub this can only be from the Baldellia ranunculoides... I never really gave this plant much thought, I took it from the pond shop last year for what it is and never looked it up. And I'll be darned it seems to be from the Alismataceae family and it caries the synonym Echinodorus repens in some databases also Echinodorus ranunculoides... It seems to be native in all of western Europe and also in the UK common name Lesser Waterplantain. Coming to think of it, it indeed resembles the Helantium tenellum (former Echinodorus tenellum) very much...

The UK database I could find gives it a rather short and sparse description.

Diggin any further I found one in my native language going a lot deeper into the plant specifics.
Also here is stated about its biotope it seems a very easy plant that also grows in permanently flooded areas, sunny open spots in all kinds of environments from poor to rich in nutrients. This and seeing what I found in my tub, it definitively has a submerged grow form. :)

I wonder why it is not listed among the aquarium plants? Nobody ever looked into it because it is native? It might be a tad difficult regarding artificial light, but then it still could be listed as advanced? But seeing how early in the year it developed submerged this still might be relatively manageable. Could be a perfect plant for those interested in native biotope aquariums/paludariums...

I planted a runner in the indoor paludarium to grow emerged. to see how it holds and develops...
:thumbup:

Last edited:
By the way... Ever seen a Goldfish with eyebrows and lipstick?
View attachment 187053
View attachment 187052
That is the best goldfish I've ever seen!!! A prize-winner if ever I saw one.

I removed a pot from the tub that stood a tad deeper, this pot was only supporting smaller pots on top... After removing it I noticed this plant growing in it it was growing there on its own as a single plant.

View attachment 186962

Considering the plants in the top pots and the rest in the tub this can only be from the Baldellia ranunculoides... I never really gave this plant much thought, I took it from the pond shop last year for what it is and never looked it up. And I'll be darned it seems to be from the Alismataceae family and it caries the synonym Echinodorus repens in some databases also Echinodorus ranunculoides... It seems to be native in all of western Europe and also in the UK common name Lesser Waterplantain. Coming to think of it, it indeed resembles the Helantium tenellum (former Echinodorus tenellum) very much...

The UK database I could find gives it a rather short and sparse description.

Diggin any further I found one in my native language going a lot deeper into the plant specifics.
Also here is stated about its biotope it seems a very easy plant that also grows in permanently flooded areas, sunny open spots in all kinds of environments from poor to rich in nutrients. This and seeing what I found in my tub, it definitively has a submerged grow form. :)

I wonder why it is not listed among the aquarium plants? Nobody ever looked into it because it is native? It might be a tad difficult regarding artificial light, but then it still could be listed as advanced? But seeing how early in the year it developed submerged this still might be relatively manageable. Could be a perfect plant for those interested in native biotope aquariums/paludariums...

I planted a runner in the indoor paludarium to grow emerged. to see how it holds and develops...
:thumbup:
Baldellia ranunculoides is on my shortlist of pond plants to grow! It seems to have a lovely texture, and great that it is comes from the same family as the echinodorus. I will see what happens when it grows with aquarium lights.

That is the best goldfish I've ever seen!!! A prize-winner if ever I saw one.

Baldellia ranunculoides is on my shortlist of pond plants to grow! It seems to have a lovely texture, and great that it is comes from the same family as the echinodorus. I will see what happens when it grows with aquarium lights.

When I bought it, it had flowers with a pink/purple edge, so the last thing I expected it is Alismataceae... Till now all I've seen have white flowers in this family. It seems to have a purple and a white variety or it is other parameters making the colour.
Baldellia_ranunculoides2.jpg

I'm curious to see your results growing it under aquarium lights.

Last edited:
When I bought it, it had flowers with a pink/purple edge, so the last thing I expected it is Alismataceae... Till now all I've seen have white flowers in this family. It seems to have a purple and a white variety or it is other parameters making the colour.
Baldellia_ranunculoides2.jpg

I'm curious to see your results growing it under aquarium lights.
Yeah I am wondering too how the plants will do with aquarium lights. It's definitely going to be on 100% from the start, I don't really care about algae in the context of a pond scape tbh, and I think the pond plants will need it.

That variety you have is stunning, I love the pink flower! Will have to see if I can procure some, although I wonder if you guys get a better vairety in the Netherlands. I was talking to @killi69 and he seemed to have imported some lovely plants from there.

That variety you have is stunning, I love the pink flower! Will have to see if I can procure some, although I wonder if you guys get a better vairety in the Netherlands.

I really have no idea and I'm unsure, the one I bought last year was less vibrant in colour than the one in the above picture I took from the net. Mine had a slightly pinkish hue over its flower leafs fading white towards the heart of the flower. That was last year, so I have no idea what colour this year will bring...

I also have a water lily cultivar with the name Burgundy Princess and according to the description, it should grow a burgundy red flower. But it always grows a white flower instead... I started searching for answers and found an article explaining some things, unfortunately, lost this paper again. But it seems that Red, purple and blue flowering plants can change in colour according to the pH value. The natural chemical colour agent in the plant is Cyano something, the same as the bacteria but a bit different. And it seems the plant will not or at least not entirely develop its colour when pH is above 8. It seems high pH neutralizes this Cyano element. The pH of my water generally goes up and down between 7.5 to 8.5 at midday.

I never experimented with the idea to give the plant a lower pH, I don't have much room etc. to make and keep a controlled environment for this with a constant lower pH. So I'm kinda stuck with what I have from the tap and reluctant to experiment with and risking to crash the pH from the entire tub of water by adding acids every day.

Anyway it might be this lower pH theory holds some truth and also goes for this Baldellia to make its flowers vibrant pink or purple. It could be variety or environmental parameters? :)

Last edited:
I really have no idea and I'm unsure, the one I bought last year was less vibrant in colour than the one in the above picture I took from the net. Mine had a slightly pinkish hue over its flower leaves fading white towards the heart of the flower. That was last year, so I have no idea what colour this year will bring...

I also have a water lily cultivar with the name Burgundy Princess and according to the description, it should grow a burgundy red flower. But it always grows a white flower instead... I started searching for answers and found an article explaining some things, unfortunately, lost this paper again. But it seems that Red, purple and blue flowering plants can change in colour according to the pH value. The natural chemical colour agent in the plant is Cyano something, the same as the bacteria but a bit different. And it seems the plant will not or at least not entirely develop its colour when pH is above 8. It seems high pH neutralizes this Cyano element. The pH of my water generally goes up and down between 7.5 to 8.5 at midday.

I never experimented with the idea to give the plant a lower pH, I don't have much room etc. to make and keep a controlled environment for this with a constant lower pH. So I'm kinda stuck with what I have from the tap and reluctant to experiment with and risking to crash the pH from the entire tub of water by adding acids every day.

Anyway it might be this lower pH theory holds some truth and also goes for this Baldellia to make its flowers vibrant pink or purple. :)
This is very interesting! Last year I did a project on sustainable natural dyes for the fashion industry, and as part of that we used red cabbage and blackcurrants. By changing the solution to have different pH we got different shades - blue, purple and pink. The effect is more dramatic with added aluminium but that wasn't allowed for this project. I think it's the same way you can use different pH soils with hydrangeas to change their flower colour between blue and pink. Never thought about trying it with pond plants! As always, endless ways to experiment in aquariums.

Incidentally, what soil do you use for this project? I'm not sure what one to use in my aquarium pond.

Incidentally, what soil do you use for this project? I'm not sure what one to use in my aquarium pond.

I kept the plant in the soil it was in from the nursery and still is in the same soil only switched to a perforated basket. I did push in some clay cones between its roots this year in case the soil got depleted. I have to guess but it looks like the nursery uses some peat-based soil with some clay in it, at least it feels like that. The soil might be slightly acidic at first, but once submerged in water with a pH of 8.5 this will finally take over and neutralise the soil's acidity.

Then I also grow some plants growing rampant in pots filled with alfa grog (sintered glass) this works a charm for some but not all. That "not all" is actually the reason I decided to better be safe than sorry and keep all new plants in the soil in which they come from the nursery.

In the little aquarium on the wall, I used Velda Lelite which is an organic peat-based blue clay soil specially developed for water lilies. It's still in there for quite some years now and it still grows plants very well. I really liked it, unfortunately, the local pond shop next door doesn't sell it any longer they switched to another brand or else I definitively would have a bag in storage.

I kept the plant in the soil it was in from the nursery and still is in the same soil only switched to a perforated basket. I did push in some clay cones between its roots this year in case the soil got depleted. I have to guess but it looks like the nursery uses some peat-based soil with some clay in it, at least it feels like that. The soil might be slightly acidic at first, but once submerged in water with a pH of 8.5 this will finally take over and neutralise the soil's acidity.

Then I also grow some plants growing rampant in pots filled with alfa grog (sintered glass) this works a charm for some but not all. That "not all" is actually the reason I decided to better be safe than sorry and keep all new plants in the soil in which they come from the nursery.

In the little aquarium on the wall, I used Velda Lelite which is an organic peat-based blue clay soil specially developed for water lilies. It's still in there for quite some years now and it still grows plants very well. I really liked it, unfortunately, the local pond shop next door doesn't sell it any longer they switched to another brand or else I definitively would have a bag in storage.
Fabulous, thanks!! I was thinking of trying a waterlily soil (mostly as we already have some) so it's good to know that you are using similar things.

Fabulous, thanks!! I was thinking of trying a waterlily soil (mostly as we already have some) so it's good to know that you are using similar things.

I didn't use very much of it... Something like a handful as the first bottom layer where I planned rooting plants. Because of the wet clay in it has a good kinda adhesive consistency to shape a bit and keep this shape. Then I topped it off with coarse sand that I toped again with fine gravel. And now years later the substrate layer still looks fairly the same as I scaped it. That's why I really liked the Velda Lelite soil it has a very good peat/sand/clay ratio.

Now I remember a few years back I also used it to scape a friend's indoor aquarium... And also this is still up and running the way I scaped it... Seemingly OK since I don't hear complaints, it's in his daughter's bedroom, so I personally don't see it that often if not invited into this room to look. Last time I saw it is years ago.

If I ever rescape my own indoor tanks I definitively wouldn't hesitate to use this Velda Lelite soil again. Imho it is perfect and I don't have the feeling I should try something else. Why change a winning team? But that doesn't say there isn't something similar or even better from a different brand. I don't know.

Back