• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub and the Pollywog Party...

zozo

Short introduction video :)

Still waiting on some ordered plants... This year as suggested by @Tim Harrison i'm going to experiment with some Echinodorus sp. Ordered a few E. cordifolius and E. uruguayensis to go in the small tank. I choose these Swords because they are seemingly half winter hardy and might survive a European winter if the roots do not freeze. Also ordered a fantasy name cultivar E. Rose and we'll see where it goes.

Just for the fun of it, reading a lot of stories about, Red Tiger Lotus and its difficulties, CO² and such!?.. I never grew this plant myself so i ordered one... :) And i'm very curious to see how it does Low Tech outdoor, this summer under the sun..

Updates Follow... :)

Do the mice stay for the strawberries?

No strawberries yet, they are juveniles playing around, have seen the mother too on a few occasions. These yet have no clue about the worlds dangers and just playing and exploring... All morning they were playing in and around that strawberry pot... Actually 5 minutes after i shot the video, the inevitable happened, had to safe one baby mouse from the cat put it in a save place. Till now i haven't spotted them again. I guess they have learned their lesson now, it was lucky i was there in time to save it and it was lucky my cat isn't really hungry... :rolleyes:

Pitty actually they can't get along, kinda liked those 2 tiny and lovely mouse babies around... nature is cruel.

Also added a new fun gadget to the tub

DSC_0476.jpg

3 minutes later...
DSC_0495.JPG

DSC_0501.JPG

They seem to love it... Must be a hell of a perspective for a fish never that seen it before And be able to come and go as it pleases.
DSC_0500.JPG

The only one yet still avoiding it is the Fancy one... :) But catch her in time as well..

We had a very soft winter too, all tropicals i left outdoor survived, such as the Potamogeton gayi and the Myriophillum red stem. All growing rather swiftly the last couple of weeks also the Hyperus is popping up... :)
DSC_0493.JPG

Nice one zozo looks good. I like that play toy. So do the fish

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Marcel,
Can you explaine the laws of physics regarding your 'periscope' tank?
Is it upside down? And why is the water not running out.
If i tune a bucket of water upside down, the water doesn't stay in very long...

Greetings,
Peter

Marcel,

Greetings,
Peter

:) Vacuum... Yes, it is an upside-down 25-litre fish tank, 3cm underwater, then all air is sucked out with a hose. No air is a vacuum and this will be replaced with water.

It's fun, but also very messy, it's clean for a few days, but then algae growth on the glass might kick in. And gas and foam buildup will accumulate in it. And this is something you would not like to suck out with a hose. :) So doing this for the longer term, make it accessible, easy to drain, clean and put back, it will need this 1 or 2 times a week.

Nothing beats natural sunlight! I love your diy skills! What plants are you thinking about? Any fish?

Thanks!..

No fish... :) No filter and just a little water... Front plants i'm thinking of Mazus reptans and bog pimpernel. In the mid/back some Echinodorus sp. a Bog Arum would be nice... But still, this afternoon i have to see what's available at this time at the pond shop. I might be a tad to early and the entire collection isn't yet fully in stock.

Another fun addition, instead of fish in the little aquarium this summer Pollywog party... :cool:
DSC_0530.JPG

DSC_0532.JPG

I have about 10, interesting to see these little fellows slowly transform into little frogs... By the time they require land they will move to the small Paludarium next door and before the winter arrives released to the garden...
DSC_0533.JPG

:thumbup:

Marcel,

Greetings,
Peter

If you turn a bucket of water upside down it falls out because it has no reason to stay there and gravity pulls it down.

If you fill a container with water, put it in a body of water and turn the container upside down you can slowly lift the container up until its edge is just sitting on the water surface, and the water will stay in the container. The container can have air in it and it will still work. It has nothing to do with being a vacuum. If anything it is the opposite, it is air pressure on the surface of the body of water.

You can try it yourself at home. Fill your sink or a bowl or bucket with water, put a glass in the sink (Only a glass so you can see) turn it upside down and slowly lift it out while it is upside down, so long as its edge stays underwater the water in the glass will not come out.

There used to be a fad of people making perspex bridges and putting them in ponds, from a distance it would look like any fish that chose to swim in the "bridge" was flying. While they looked good being as they were exposed to the sun they soon went green and need cleaning often.

It has nothing to do with being a vacuum.

It does and it depends on the definition... :) There are 2,

1-Theoretical physics
2 - Applied science

Knipsel.JPG

If you have a container and suck all air out, then the container is the vacuum. In this case, the tank stands upside down on it's rim a few cms below the water surface. Then the glass tank is heavy enough to stand there filled with air. Then take a hose stick it in the tank all the way to the glass bottom that's the top now and suck out all air. All air that is sucked out will be replaced with water due to the outside pressure on the water surface being greater, the water level in the tank will rise above the outside level. Are you going halfway then there will be 50% water and 50% gas(air) left in the tank, makes it a partial vacuum?

There is a simple old-school physics test in the explanation of pressure difference and vacuum with a glass and a sheet of paper. Fill the glass totally with water, put the sheet of paper on top and turn the glass upside down. The paper will stick to the glass and the water won't run out.

Same as a Capillary pipette as media dispenser works with a partial vacuum as long as your finger is on the top closing it.

All the same principle... :)

Last edited:
Small update on the progress...

DSC_0543.JPG

At first, i thought and said the small Paludarium will get no filtering... But then i thought, what about rain, what about evaporation and what about water parameter stability? Having all at hand anyway then why not hook it to the system. And so i gave it an overflow and inlet from and to the wet and dry filter box. :) It runs like a charm with a steady water level.

DSC_0544.JPG

Yet still, some desired plants missing, not in the shop atm. More updates follow soon with a short video. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Little Tank is about ready to roll too... :)
DSC_0558.JPG

Echinodorus cordifolius at the left.
DSC_0560.JPG

Water Poppy in the middle. With the good old Nymphaea Rosanymphe.
DSC_0564.JPG

At the right Echinodorus Urugayensis, pretty one actually.. And the Echinodorus Rose?? No idea what it is, leaf looks like its a cross containg E. palaefolius?
DSC_0559.JPG

Then the experiment i'm most curious about.. The Red Tiger Lotus...

This was day one (2 days ago)..
DSC_0548.JPG

Now look at this 24 hours later after 1 day of sunshine. :cool: It's doing something and definitively getting a tan...
DSC_0561.JPG

Hopefully, it doesn't die on me... I would really like to see this thrive Low tech under the sun... What it actually does in nature as well... Is our european sun satisfying enough to get her going?... :nailbiting: She came with a nice fat bulb, that's a positive.. :)

Back