• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mission Bathtub and the Pollywog Party...

Thanks Peeps!!

Hi all, I think that one might be Rotala indica.

cheers Darrel

I had the same pot from the same nursery with same label a few years back also saying it was R. indica

rotala-rotala-indica-zuurstofplant-2-0_552x900.jpg

but it grew completely differently with different and dark red leaf submerged. That's why i suspect this one is also the same erroneous ID... But i actually don't know for sure... Could be they sold me a correct one this time. :)

What makes you say so that it might be R. indica?

Last edited:
Echinodorus cordifolius does extremely good outdoor in the sun. Took a while to establish, but lately it is taking off... :) The other 2 the E. rose (But did flower, you can see looking closely) and E. Uruguayensis are still struggling. They both show mechanical damage, something is eating them. Yet no idea what it is...
10.19.08.jpg

I also have Cherry Shrimps in there for the past 2 years, they do well outdoors and obviously easily survive mild winters. The shrimps actually grow father in this setup then they do indoors. Somehow this provides more and better food.

But don't survive that freaking frog, it is hunting them, I saw it catch one passing by while taking this picture... :eek:

10.15.52.jpg

Another interesting side note, as all previous years yet didn't need to clean the glass once. Algae simply do not grow to it all though it receives full blast sunshine for the best part of the day. Not 1 tiny speck of algae growing to it. :cool: Beats me, indoor far less light but need to clean it weekly.

Hi Marcel, I think when you add up all the plant mass in the system you get why you don't have any algae in that little tank. In my tank it gets direct south/west facing sunshine for most of the afternoon/evening and yet I don't have more than the odd spot of green algae on the glass. I put this down to having a large monstera growing out of the top which suck up all the nutrients. I've cleaned the front of that tank once in about 3 years and it didn't make it look any cleaner.

Hi all,
But don't survive that freaking frog, it is hunting them, I saw it catch one passing by while taking this picture...
"Green" frogs (Pelophylax spp.) are much more aquatic than the Common Frog (Rana temporaria), which only hunts terrestrially.

We have naturalised Pool Frogs in quite a few places now in the UK (our native Pool Frog has gone extinct).

cheers Darrel

Hi Marcel, I think when you add up all the plant mass in the system you get why you don't have any algae in that little tank.

That could be it, it's the most obvious reason... That little paludarium next to has the same, not a speck of algae on the glass in the submerged part. And it's bursting from plant growth. The watermint and rotala indica in it go crazy. 😘 It actually needs a severe trim but yet didn't feel like it.
IMG_20200820_101139034.jpg

But the zinc tub itself, having the most plants of all in it is growing a thick sheet of dark green aufwuchs against all the walls. And this is about 75% shielded from any light due to all the plants in it. And it starts up each year again completely clean...
IMG_20200820_172025908.jpg

In a way this mystery is baffling me, glass stays clean the Zinc tub walls are covered with aufwuchs... :p
It doesn't always make any sense... Obviously it doesn't always like to grow on glass...

The 2 other tubs in the garden that also have a lot of plants but are stand-alone and both do grow a lot of hair algae... But in the tub system, I never found a single hair...

Hi all, "Green" frogs (Pelophylax spp.) are much more aquatic than the Common Frog (Rana temporaria), which only hunts terrestrially.

We have naturalised Pool Frogs in quite a few places now in the UK (our native Pool Frog has gone extinct).

cheers Darrel

Occasionally I see them green frogs jump after a fly but this is the first time i see them hunt underwater. Just laying there like a lazy bum, shrimp passes by unsuspectedly and is snatched. So it's not really actively hunting shrimps, more like opportunistically snacking.

Last year i had a brown frog in this tank all summer long.
DSC_0087.JPG

Didn't know they exclusively hunt terrestrial, actually never seen one hunt... Till now the green frog is my most common guest sometimes several at the time. And these I've seen hunting a few times also from up close.

That could be it, it's the most obvious reason... That little paludarium next to has the same, not a speck of algae on the glass in the submerged part. And it's bursting from plant growth. The watermint and rotala indica in it go crazy. 😘 It actually needs a severe trim but yet didn't feel like it.
View attachment 153263

But the zinc tub itself, having the most plants of all in it is growing a thick sheet of dark green aufwuchs against all the walls. And this is about 75% shielded from any light due to all the plants in it. And it starts up each year again completely clean...
View attachment 153264

In a way this mystery is baffling me, glass stays clean the Zinc tub walls are covered with aufwuchs... :p
It doesn't always make any sense... Obviously it doesn't always like to grow on glass...

The 2 other tubs in the garden that also have a lot of plants but are stand-alone and both do grow a lot of hair algae... But in the tub system, I never found a single hair...

This to me is beautiful 😃👍

Gardeners World Montys Hostas next to his wildlife pond hardly any slug or snail damage The frogs have left the water this time of year but still around the margins but feeding on the slugs and snails that the Hostas are attracting them

I think you get more signs of green growth in the bathtub simply because it's where your fish are, so where the greater concentration of fertiliser will be. The other tanks stay cleaner because although they share the same water, the nutrients will more slowly be trickled through them. This is the principle of slow flow refugium in marine tanks, the water enters with elevated nutrient levels and comes out with near zero nirate and phosphate if you get through flow right.

Gardeners World Montys Hostas next to his wildlife pond hardly any slug or snail damage The frogs have left the water this time of year but still around the margins but feeding on the slugs and snails that the Hostas are attracting them

I have tons of these buggers in my garden and also in my shed eating all my cardboard boxes. :lol:...
IMG_20200821_135331874.jpg

Not sure if they are the edible ones.. If so I could easily permanently supply a restaurant with it...
but the frogs don't have them on the menu... :)

I think you get more signs of green growth in the bathtub simply because it's where your fish are, so where the greater concentration of fertiliser will be. The other tanks stay cleaner because although they share the same water, the nutrients will more slowly be trickled through them. This is the principle of slow flow refugium in marine tanks, the water enters with elevated nutrient levels and comes out with near zero nirate and phosphate if you get through flow right.

I guess you are correct, the little upside-down glass tank on the tub is also green within 2 weeks and needs a clean.

@zozo l have a lot of snails that just appear on mass at the wrong time like just after somethings planted and how the heck do they manage to get to the top of the sunflowers( 6ftish) at night and have scarpered by morning. Any l find l take to a shrubbery on a nearby field to rehome:) but have read they return home as they have good navigation skills:(

Hi all, Garden snail (Cornu (Helix) aspersum). They <"are edible">, but they aren't the "Edible Snail" (Helix pomatia).

cheers Darrel

:D Thanks, awesome!! And very interesting, now I know the scientific names also found our local name (Segrijn Snail) they actually have the same recipes as their big cousin H. pomatia. They seem culinary identical, the h. aspersum is only a tad smaller... Still a popular delicacy in Southern Europe namely France, Spain and Italy.. ( Le Petit Grise - French) https://lepetitgris.com/

Reading the article you linked to I have a hunch there is a market gap... Since all nowadays hipsters are into Retro and Vintage someone should considerer opening a Brasserie serving these historical dishes.. Then name it something like "Snailer Jack's Snacks" :p

Now you really got me thinking... I at the Pomatia several times and I really liked it... Don't know if i liked the snail or the garlic butter sauce with toast, but found it delicious Pomatia has a nice bite... Now i'm wondering...

Last edited:
Hi all,
Since all nowadays hipsters are into Retro and Vintage someone should considerer opening a Brasserie serving these historical dishes.. Then name it something like "Snailer Jack's Snacks"
<"Definitely an opening">. There was a vogue for "Snail egg caviar" about 30 years ago in the UK, but as far as I know not many people are eating Garden Snails at the moment.

The Edible (Roman) Snail isn't native to the UK, but is/was naturalised in a <"few places in S. England">.

We used to have a local population at Box, just E. of Bath, but they allegedly were found by a Bath Restaurant owner, who convert enough of them to "Escargot" to causes their local extinction.

I believe that worries about collection for the restaurant trade was the reason why they were added to the protected species list (under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act) in 2008.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
not many people are eating Garden Snails at the moment.

I also never heard of it before, reading the articles you posted i get the feeling i might have eaten them without knowing it actually was garden snail they fed me. The last time i ordered them they came with shell and all and they weren't that big... Sizing it up it could easily be a garden snail that was on my plate... They all simply present it in the menu indeed as Escargot without any further information and the word literally means "Snail", then you can't say they took me for a ride. I got what i ordered.. And the only obvious noticeable difference for a noob is the size, all the taste is in the sauce. :shh: Makes not at all that sure if not many people eat garden snails...

Last edited:
Back