• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mission Creep. Thoughts on Aquascaper 900 setup?

Wulfen

Hello all.
I seem to be having a severe case of mission creep.
Initially, I was all about the Aquascaper 600 but on seeing the 900 version on Aquarium gardens youtube channel last night It got me to thinking.
This is the system that I thought I would get:
Evolution Aqua The Aquascaper 600 Tank (L60 x W50 x H36) (108ltr)
Twinstar LED Aquarium Light 600S
Oase biomaster thermo 350 aquarium external-filter
Aquarium CO2 Kit Pro-SE Complete System

But now I am thinking more like this:
EDIT: I have now decided to go with the setup below:
Evolution Aqua The Aquascaper 900 Tank L90cm x W50cm x H45cm (186ltr)
Twinstar LED Aquarium Light 900S
Oase 600 thermo
Ei dosing
What are your thoughts on this setup?
All feedback very much appreciated :)

Last edited:
I’ve got a 900 and am very pleased with the dimensions. Seems really “big” for a 90 cm tank.

I’m running two externals a Ehime Classic and an Ehime Eco Pro, some how two moderate powered filters seemed better than one massive beast! There’s loads of room in the cabinet for whatever you choose.

Other light options are the Kessel lights but not everyone likes the “ripple” quality of the light.

d01616a3d860da4c3f2c007a4de7f400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a 900 and am very pleased with the dimensions. Seems really “big” for a 90 cm tank.

I’m running two externals a Ehime Classic and an Ehime Eco Pro, some how two moderate powered filters seemed better than one massive beast! There’s loads of room in the cabinet for whatever you choose.

Other light options are the Kessel lights but not everyone likes the “ripple” quality of the light.

d01616a3d860da4c3f2c007a4de7f400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many thanks TBRO.
Nice looking tank :)
Those Kessil lights look great but as I would need 2 they are a bit to steep for me.

I vote for Twinstar. The kessils don't have the nicest spectrum. It's all up to individual preference though. You can grow plants with most of the lights out there.

I vote for Twinstar. The kessils don't have the nicest spectrum. It's all up to individual preference though. You can grow plants with most of the lights out there.
Cheers rebel
Was just looking at the Twinstar 900S on youtube. It has better blue and green color frequency than the E version. I think I should bite the bullet as I really want the fish to look top notch. And the extra power could come in handy long term.

I agree with TBRO the 900 tank does seem large for 3’ tank. Don’t know why just does. The larger tank is more expensive to scape so factor that in.

I have a biomaster Thermo 600 on my 900 tank. Along with an Eheim skim to help the circular flow. Find that’s better movement than 1 larger filter.
I’ve taken out the foams and just left prefilter foams and supplied biomedia. I think it’s powerful enough.

Don’t forget you’ll need to add on a hydor heater if you don’t get a Filter with built in heater. Either way both oase and jbl filters are good.

Both the E and S lights are nice. No right or wrong. Both good. Personally I like the S light. It is more pinker than the E light. Does bring out the reds in wood a lot more than the E.

Where abouts are you? Might be worth travelling to AG to see everything in real life to help your decision.

I agree with TBRO the 900 tank does seem large for 3’ tank. Don’t know why just does. The larger tank is more expensive to scape so factor that in.

I have a biomaster Thermo 600 on my 900 tank. Along with an Eheim skim to help the circular flow. Find that’s better movement than 1 larger filter.
I’ve taken out the foams and just left prefilter foams and supplied biomedia. I think it’s powerful enough.

Don’t forget you’ll need to add on a hydor heater if you don’t get a Filter with built in heater. Either way both oase and jbl filters are good.

Both the E and S lights are nice. No right or wrong. Both good. Personally I like the S light. It is more pinker than the E light. Does bring out the reds in wood a lot more than the E.

Where abouts are you? Might be worth travelling to AG to see everything in real life to help your decision.
Many thanks, Siege.
I think the 50cm depth really makes all the difference to the size :)
I have seen quite a few Aquascaper 900 being run with the Oase 600 now (Youtube).
Also asked Dave of Aquarium gardens via email and he confirms they run them on the AS 900's in the store. So will go with the 600 thermo :)
I agree about the better color light rendition of the Twinstar LED Aquarium Light 900S. Again was looking on youtube and could see the difference.
So it looks like Ill be going with:
Oase 600 Thermo

Many thanks, Siege.
I think the 50cm depth really makes all the difference to the size :)
I have seen quite a few Aquascaper 900 being run with the Oase 600 now (Youtube).
Also asked Dave of Aquarium gardens via email and he confirms they run them on the AS 900's in the store. So will go with the 600 thermo :)
I agree about the better color light rendition of the Twinstar LED Aquarium Light 900S. Again was looking on youtube and could see the difference.
So it looks like Ill be going with:
Oase 600 Thermo

Nice set up. I’d admit that I’m a bit biased because I help out Dave at AG a couple of days days a week.
Saying that he wouldn’t suggest something that didnt work, he is a hobbyist turned shop owner. that’s something that I like about AG

Basically same set up as my 900.:)

ensure you get the dimmer from Ag or the controller from hinterfield {see thread on their forum section)
You’ll need one to begin with.

Take time to do the hard scape. Dave can help you with this and plant heavily.

Been having a little play with MSPaint. This is a very basic top-down view of how I envisage the tank.
I will be using river wood and leopard stone edging.
I would like the overhanging branches to have that Everglades look with lots of hanging mosses for the fish to swim under. The top image shows what I would like to mimic for the overhanging branches.
trees-overhanging-with-spanish-moss-in-southern-usa-GX2EP2.jpg
aquascaper 900 layout.png

Last edited:
Nice set up. I’d admit that I’m a bit biased because I help out Dave at AG a couple of days days a week.
Saying that he wouldn’t suggest something that didnt work, he is a hobbyist turned shop owner. that’s something that I like about AG

Basically same set up as my 900.:)

ensure you get the dimmer from Ag or the controller from hinterfield {see thread on their forum section)
You’ll need one to begin with.

Take time to do the hard scape. Dave can help you with this and plant heavily.
Cheers mate. I feel a lot better now I have decided on the 900.
Thanks for the tip on the dimmer, I forgot to add that to the list of equipment I just emailed to Dave.
He has been really helpful. It's nice to see someone who understands what you are trying to achieve and helps you envisage it with photos of the hardscape materials in a sandbox.

Hi all.
Have used AqAdvisor to calculate fish stoking levels. The list below is only at around 75% stocking level per AqAdvisor.
Apistogramma cacatuoides triple red or double red (Pair)
Green neon tetras x 20
Chili rasbora x 15
Pygmy Hatchetfish x 5
Kuhli loach x 5
Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Nerite Snails
What are your thoughts on my fish selection?
Cheers

Hi all.
Have used AqAdvisor to calculate fish stoking levels. The list below is only at around 75% stocking level per AqAdvisor.
Apistogramma cacatuoides triple red or double red (Pair)
Green neon tetras x 20
Chili rasbora x 15
Pygmy Hatchetfish x 5
Kuhli loach x 5
Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Nerite Snails
What are your thoughts on my fish selection?
Cheers

Personally I’d just get one or 2 shoals of small fish. The scape will look better. I’d forget the kuhli loach, they’ll dig into your soil. Hatchet fish will jump out of the open top tank,

1 or 2 shoaling small fish look amazing in a well scaped 900 tank. Plus shrimp and nerite snails. Maybe some otos as well.

Forget about the trumpet snails do bugger all, look ugly and add to the bioload.

Get the hardscape done. Plant and flood.
Add shrimp 1 week later.
1 month in then add fish. You’ll have changed your mind by then!

Last edited:
Personally I’d just get one or 2 shoals of small fish. The scape will look better. I’d forget the kuhli loach, they’ll dig into your soil. Hatchet fish will jump out of the open top tank,

1 or 2 shoaling small fish look amazing in a well scaped 900 tank. Plus shrimp and nerite snails. Maybe some otos as well.

Forget about the trumpet snails do bugger all, look ugly and add to the bioload.

Get the hardscape done. Plant and flood.
Add shrimp 1 week later.
1 month in then add fish. You’ll have changed your mind by then!
Many thanks, Siege.
Shame about the Kuhli Loach digging. They seem very interesting.
Got my heart set on an Apistogramma cacatuoides community tank. It is a longterm ambition.
Ill also be getting custom glass covers for the tank so Pygmy Hatchets will be ok :)

If you give the kuhli alternative hiding places I don't think you'll have a big issue with digging. They like places to gather under. Have a look at some youtube videos to get a feel for how they behave. It depends what you plan for your bottom planting too, delicate carpets are more of an issue than crypts, for example.

If you give the kuhli alternative hiding places I don't think you'll have a big issue with digging. They like places to gather under. Have a look at some youtube videos to get a feel for how they behave. It depends what you plan for your bottom planting too, delicate carpets are more of an issue than crypts, for example.
Cheers Tam. They really do like to gather under wood etc. Good vid on youtube showing them scatter when the wood was lifted.
I was planning on some Cuba in between the stone at the edges of the island but if I provide enough hiding places I may be ok?

I have been watching a lot of GF vids on youtube. In this one, he has his Aquascaper 600 on the coffee table. I really like the low position.

Just spoken to my dad, who is an amazing carpenter/joiner. He is going to build me a custom stand: L100cm x W55cm x H40cm
Should be perfect hight when sitting or sprawled on the sofa which will be next to the tank :)

Personally I’d still buy the tank with cabinet. If your dad makes a lower one it’s a win win.

The sape may look odd that low when you walk in the room. George has only got it on a small table cos he had nothing else to hand (took cabinet to london for an exhibition).

Sounds a good idea.

Don’t forget shipping. Buying the glass tank alone will mean c.£50 p&p. Buying the cabinet later will be that again. Buying them together will result in in no p&p.

Or your dad can always make a taller one in the future if you want :)

Back